Sunday, December 25, 2016

Consider

Maylou Holladay for the “holiday” J blog
(I really wanted to write about my favorite Christmas present, my son David, but this is what the Lord has laid on my heart for you.)

Because I loved teaching Latin and “anything English,” words are very interesting to me. I suppose one of my most-used is “FOCUS.” A cousin of “focus” might be the word “CONSIDER.” The etymology of “consider” can be two different things, but both emphasize the importance of the word. It can mean to “sit together” or to “intently study.” The second meaning was used by early astronomers who studied the stars, perhaps those very Magi who followed the Star to find the promised Messiah.

God’s Word encourages us to consider...to observe.

Psalm 37:37: “Consider the blameless, observe the upright; there is a future for the man of peace.”
We need to take time to consider why certain friends or family members have peace, have joy. Observe how we can learn from them.  My dear Indiana friend Mrs. Pat Staton and I taught together for years. Our friendship continued after teaching ended and we were miles apart. This past year she went to Heaven to be with the Savior she served for so many years. The Holy Spirit encouraged me to study her life long before she passed away. I could write pages on how she encouraged others. What a great example! I could list so many other precious people who have blessed me. Do you have someone like that in your life?  Watch them, emulate them, pray for them, and thank them!

Hebrew 10:24: “Consider”. . .spur each other on. . .not to aggravation  :) . . . but to love and to good works.  Remember this: YBH? (Yes, but how?) We must CONS IDER the importance of such a task, and then ASK THE LORD TO MAKE US ALERT to ways we can encourage others. . .be outwardly focused.

Isaiah 41:20: This is a verse I often pray for my children and grandchildren: “So that people (my family) may see and know, may consider and understand that the hand of the Lord has done this...” Four important verbs....how do they progress? Think about that! Mediate on those powerful words. Consider what God’s Word is saying to observe as God works. It is more than just seeing what God has done.

Hebrews 12:1-3: (Read this on your own.) Verse 2 encourages us to “fix our eyes on Jesus.” Verse 3 uses our word: “Consider Him.” WOW! Consider Him...not any “him” but JESUS! Why consider Him? You count the ways today in your own life. Why do you need to fix your eyes on Jesus? Verse 3 reminds us that if we will, we will “not grow weary and lose heart.” He is already in 2017. What a Savior!


No comments:

Post a Comment