Sunday, December 18, 2016

Sundown


Are you afraid of the dark? I am.

When the sun goes down sometimes I feel anxious, restless, and full of dread. The world closes in on me. Normally, I’m tired, so all the problems in the world loom large. My thoughts turn dark. I feel my life doesn’t matter – that I’m contributing nothing. I feel old. I think of my mom’s death and imagine that’s ahead for me. (I told you it was dark.) At the first sign of dusk, I start turning on lights. I burn candles too. The dark days of winter will soon come and compound my gloom.

Sigh.

Some might think I need mental help, but I decided to examine these thoughts and feelings in the light of day – to take these thoughts “captive” to the Lord Jesus. I wrote them in my journal and asked the Lord for a verse to help me. It wasn’t long before the thought came: “I am the Light of the world.” Jesus’ Spirit lives within me! I’m never in the dark! Jesus has taken control of death and the darkness of sin. He is the Creator of light.

These are the verses He gave me: 

John 8:12, “…I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Another: Psalm 89: 15-16, “Blessed are the people who know the festal shout, who walk, O LORD, in the light of Your face, who exult in Your Name all the day and in Your righteousness are exalted.”

I must share this one! Psalm 104:1-2, “Bless the LORD, O my soul! O LORD my God, You are very great! You are clothed with splendor and majesty, covering Yourself with light as with a garment, stretching out the heavens like a tent.”

One more (these are so good!): Micah 7:7-8, “…I will look to the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me. Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD will be a light to me.”


If you struggle with darkness or gloomy weather, turn to the Light. Meditate on His attributes. We all enjoy the sunshine, but the One Who made the sun lives inside us! He is enough.

joyce hague

No comments:

Post a Comment