Monday, January 2, 2017

Refreshing Routine

In spite of all the fussing I do about people who put up Christmas decorations in October, I'm never really ready to take them down. My mom used to say, "People do such thoughtful things at Christmas." And they do. So why can't we just be that way all year round? The truth is, it would wear us out.

I don't mean we can't be nice, but we can't keep up the gift giving, the little parties, the special foods. It would be too much--and it would quit being special. There is something to be said for routine.

One of the routines I need to continually refresh is scripture memory. Let me tell you what learning God's word has done for me:

One spring day I was feeling completely overwhelmed with the end of school and all that goes with it. Then I got word that we might be getting out-of-town company that same week. I felt that I might lose my mind. Then, pulling out of the parking lot at Starbucks, where I had gone to grade essays, I remembered this verse: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Instant relief.

The other night I couldn't drop off to sleep. Who knows why? My mind was whirling with things to remember and do. I decided to recite scripture: Nahum 1:3-7, "The LORD is slow to anger and great in power. . . " I went slowly and thought about the verses. In a very little while, I calmed down and went to sleep.

These are only two of many examples of the value of committing scripture to memory. Don't say you can't do it. You remember all kinds of  songs, jingles, plots to movies, recipes. You just need a routine.  Start a list of passages that speak to you. Decide on a time you will review these. I go over the same passage for either a week or a month, depending on the length. Write the verses down; say them in the car, in the shower, before breakfast. You decide, but be regular about it. After a while, you will know lots of God's Word, and what a blessing it will be.

Maybe you already have a plan in place. Good for you. Don't quit. Encourage your friends to join you.

Happy New Year!


--Sherry Poff

No comments:

Post a Comment