Sunday, December 11, 2016

Have Yourself a Wonder-full Christmas

I have a confession to make: I love to record and watch the cheesy, sappy Hallmark Christmas movies! From what I hear, I am not alone. As I have watched them this Christmas season, I have noticed that many of them have children in them who help the main character see the joy and wonder of Christmas and miracles. Even the ones that don’t have children still focus on the same spirit – usually the main character has to rediscover this spirit. They often start out with a hardened or hurt heart, or perhaps they are just too busy to notice the beauty and wonder of the season. But as the movie progresses, they are reminded to enjoy the season and look for the joy and wonder in it and to enjoy family and friends.

I know I need this constant reminder in my own life. I may not usually have a hardened heart or a love of success and money that has distracted me, but I can often get caught up in the mundane details of life or even get distracted by personal desires for comfort and pleasure. But of course, as believers, our reminder runs much deeper than just a child-like wonder of Santa and the ‘magic’ of Christmas, but it is the wonder of an awesome God who sent His only Son to become like us to live as a servant and die a horrible death to save us from the same fate and give us new life – eternal life. This beautiful season is to celebrate the greatest love that any of us has ever known. But the theme of child-like wonder is something very biblical and much needed in our stressed out, busy lives.

Mark 10:14-15 “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”

So what does that look like? Well, as is frequent right now, Lee gives me a perfect example. He loves people; he loves to move and play like a wild man. He can be so distracted by people and things that it is hard to get him to eat or sleep. But when his daddy is in the room, he is zeroed in on him. He wants to be in his arms, doing what he is doing, and receiving proud looks from Daddy. It is much the same with us. We can get so distracted by this world – the joys, the hurts, the frustrations, and even the gifts that God gives – that we lose sight of the One who gives us the very gift of life and a reason to hope despite difficult circumstances.

Hebrews 12:1 – “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”

I have another confession to make. I have certainly been distracted, frustrated, and tired by this busy season. I have taken my eyes off of Jesus and let the cares of this world overwhelm me. At times, I have also been so enamored with the gifts of God – my husband, my precious little boy, etc. – that I have neglected the giver of them. Perhaps you have had one of these struggles or another one. This Christmas season, let us look around at all the gifts God has given us – His beautiful creation, the fun decorations of Christmas, the gifts we receive, the family we have – and let us praise the Lord and be outspokenly grateful to Him for His provision. Let us look around with the wonder of a child to enjoy the simple and grand joys. Let us give to and love others in the same fashion that God has given to us. Let us delight in the true reason for the season in our precious Savior laying aside His kingdom, His comfort, His Father, and more than we could ever imagine to become a tiny, vulnerable, common baby. He was probably teased and hurt as a child, and we certainly know He was ultimately rejected by those He came to save. He gave His life as a ransom for ours, but thankfully, He conquered the grave and rose from the dead!


Let us fix our eyes on our dear Father and Savior Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Let us surrender our time in this busy season to be a blessing to others – to be Jesus to them. Let us thoroughly enjoy our family and friends and the fun of giving and receiving gifts as well as the food and many other pleasures of this season, but let us do so with our eyes and lips fixed on praising and serving our Savior who gave everything for us. I pray a blessed, relaxing, and wonder-full Christmas for you all, as we serve and praise our Savior!

--Judith Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment