Sunday, December 4, 2016

A Christmas Prayer

As I sat down three days ago for some time in the Word, I decided to start with a prayer from the book The Valley of Vision.  This book is a collection of Puritan prayers and devotionals, and as my husband Kelly wrote in the front of the book when he gave it to me as a gift while we were still dating, it truly does “assist me in expressing my adoration to my Savior.” I find that even though on my own I am not able to express myself as eloquently as these Puritans did, my heart feels deeply the words that they wrote, and that I, in turn, pray to God. Though I had put the book aside for a while, I decided to pick right back up where I had left the bookmark. And that was a prayer entitled “The Gift of Gifts.” It is one that I am passing on to you, dear reader.  Can I recommend reading it out loud? Not only is it beautiful; it helps in the understanding of it. May this be our prayer this Christmas season. 

--Amy O'Rear 

O Source of all good,
What shall I render to thee for the gift of gifts,
      thine own dear Son, begotten, not created,
      my redeemer, proxy, surety, substitute,
      his self-emptying incomprehensible,
      his infinity of love beyond the heart’s grasp.
Herein is wonder of wonders:
      he came below to raise me above,
      was born like me that I might become like him.
Herein is love;
      when I cannot rise to him he draws near on wings of grace,
            to raise me to himself.
Herein is power;
      when Deity and humanity were infinitely apart
      he united them in indissoluble unity, the uncreated and the created.
Herein is wisdom;
      when I was undone, with no will to return to him,
            and no intellect to devise recovery,
      he came, God-incarnate, to save me to the uttermost,
            as man to die my death,
                        to shed satisfying blood on my behalf,
                        to work out a perfect righteousness for me.
Oh God, take me in spirit to the watchful shepherds and enlarge my mind;
      let me hear good tidings of great joy,
            and hearing, believe, rejoice, praise, adore,
            my conscience bathed in an ocean of repose,
            my eyes uplifted to a reconciled Father;
      place me with ox, ass, camel, goat,
            to look with them upon my redeemer’s face,
            and in him account myself delivered from sin;
      let me with Simeon clasp the new-born child to my heart,
            embrace him with undying faith,
            exulting that he is mine and I am his,

In him thou hast given me so much that heaven can give no more.         




No comments:

Post a Comment