Sunday, July 22, 2018

Changing Your Prayer Life


Recently, I've been thinking about when and how I pray.  Having grown up in Christian school and in church every time the doors were open, I'm especially familiar with not only the Lord's Prayer, but also the ACTS of Prayer(Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication).  I now understand both the Lord's Prayer and the idea of ACTS were meant to be examples to help us and NOT formulas. But, as a teenager, I internalized there must be a right way and wrong way to pray. A simple "Help!" prayer must have a spirit of Adoration, Confession and Thanksgiving surrounding it in order to be heard. A prayer of just supplication would be frowned upon before the throne of God above.  There was a right and wrong way to pray in my mind...no one ever taught me that.  But, in the black-white way I viewed the world, I took away that unless I did it right, my prayers would not be heard and therefore would not be effective.

And honestly, I think I gave up on it for awhile. If I didn't have time to use all the right language and insert scripture into my prayers, were they even worth anything?  Was God up there grading my prayers and only listening to the ones that followed the formula? I knew I needed to pray, but I didn't.  I wanted to pray.  I wanted to speak to Jesus like he was a friend.  I wanted to converse with God in the intimate way I could hear in other people's voices, but I felt like every word I uttered needed to pass the editorial board before it could be heard.  

My dad has always said that having children will "change your prayer life," and I believe it has definitely been in the last several years that I have begun to glimpse the power of prayer for which I had longed.  First of all, I am already holy. When I asked Jesus to be my Savior and received the Spirit, that was it. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.  I am no longer a slave striving out of fear, I am an heir with Christ.  Therefore, I should live as a daughter of the King, walking in confidence and not in fear. 

For ye received not the spirit of bondage again unto fear; but ye received the spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God: and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified with him.  Romans 8:15-17

So, when I speak to my Father, I can cry "Abba...Daddy" the same way I can with my own Father.  I have not only the Spirit to bear witness with me, but I have a High Priest in Christ who understands each and every prayer I pray. 


Having then a great high priest, who hath passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we have not a high priest that cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but one that hath been in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.  Let us therefore draw near with boldness unto the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy, and may find grace to help us in time of need. Heb 4: 14-16

And my dad doesn't insist that I follow a formula for speaking with him.  He doesn't ask that I only speak to him at certain times of the day.  He loves me.  He wants to talk to me whenever I call. If my earthly father loves me like that, how much more does my heavenly father? Prayer is an important part of our faith. It's something we GET to do.  I get to talk directly with the God of the Universe whenever and wherever I want.  I need to pray in the same way I want to tell my daddy about big news in my life, or ask his advice on what I should do in a situation.  

Prayers do not have to be perfect. I do not have to strive to be perfect. In my Father's eyes, I am covered with the blood of Jesus and I am already made holy.  The process of sanctification is not to work "for" my salvation, but as Paul says "work out [my] salvation" in the process of fixing my eyes on Jesus and becoming more like him in the everyday mundane.  There is nothing I can do or not do to make God love me any more or any less.  Prayer is the working out of our salvation as we learn to rely on Him instead of a formula we try to do ourselves.

"I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time, waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God. It changes me." -C.S. Lewis
--Gabrielle Haston








No comments:

Post a Comment