Sunday, July 15, 2018

Anticipating


Did you get to see the sunflowers?  I enjoyed them on Friday with one of my daughters and a three-year-old granddaughter who was more interested in running around under the large leaves and digging in the dirt than she was in looking at the stunning display of color and large blooms raising their eyes to the sun.

That's ok. We had a good time and took the obligatory pictures. But the golden memory of those forty acres still glows in my mind, and it makes me wonder about the glory and majesty of heaven. I've seen other pictures of fields of color--tulips, daisies, lavender--just magnificent!

Revelation describes heaven as a place filled with color and light. Check out the twenty-first chapter. I confess to not longing for heaven as much as I perhaps ought to. But I've been to three funerals in the last two weeks, and a common theme of all three was the feeling that heaven is more real and precious with loved ones there. 

Certainly, each saint who goes on before us adds to our anticipation. Still, I don't think we can possibly grasp the splendor of the place itself.  God's beauty and creativity will be on display unspoiled and without blemish. If God made such gorgeousness as I saw on Friday for this passing world, what must He have prepared for our eternal home?

Most glorious, Jesus, the Light, will be there before our very eyes. We will need or desire nothing else. Until then, I love the hints and tiny previews we get in fields of flowers.

--Sherry Poff


No comments:

Post a Comment