Sunday, March 25, 2018

Remembrance

Is all creation groaning? (It is)
Is a new creation coming? (It is)
Is the glory of the Lord to be the light within our midst? (It is)
Is it good that we remind ourselves of this? (It is)
-Is He Worthy? Music and Lyrics by Andrew Peterson

Remembrance.  That's what this time of year is all about. This weekend marks the advent of the final week of the Lent season with the beginning of Holy Week.  I've been working through the book of Exodus with SheReadsTruth across this Lenten season.  I've been amazed at the beautiful foreshadowing our amazing Creator gave us with the book of Exodus.  From the first utterance "I AM" to the Passover Lamb, the Manna, Moses's hands being lifted to defeat Amalek, the Rock flowing with living water, The Tabernacle, and our ultimate High Priest, our Father is the ultimate designer.  He planned our rescue in such an intimate and wooing way.  He called for us, showed us the way, made clear the path, and still holds his arms wide open to offer us the salvation and love for which our souls yearn. Amazing love, How can it be?!

Do you feel the world is broken? (We do)
Do you feel the shadows deepen? (We do)
But do you know that all the dark won't stop the light from getting through? (We do)
Do you wish that you could see it all made new? (We do)

Yet, I feel with each passing year this time of remembrance becomes more and more important because of the brokenness and growing shadows in the world around us. When cancer and disease shorten lives that are lived faithfully while the wicked roam freely doing whatever they wish...When my students tell me they are fearful of coming to school because of the possibility of gun violence...When I am told the child abuse and neglect rate in our county is double the state average...When I have students' who ask if they can take home extra food from our trip because they don't have food at home...When the suicide rate in our county is double the state average  because people are so lost and without hope...When I have held one of my students who is sobbing asking me why her mother killed herself...I can't say that I can always feel this amazing love in the midst of all that. My heart is broken again and again.  I know His love and I know He has a plan. But, I don't always feel it. It's easy to despair in the darkness. That's why we must remind ourselves of the gospel and the awesomeness of the cross. We must remind ourselves that Jesus has already conquered sin and the grave. He holds the keys to Death and Hell and He alone is worthy of our focus and praise. 

Does the Father truly love us? (He does)
Does the Spirit move among us? (He does)
And does Jesus, our Messiah hold forever those He loves? (He does)
Does our God intend to dwell again with us? (He does)

Our Good Good Father has never given up on us  He never gave up on His people when they began worshiping another god at the foot of the mountain He was on the mountain talking with Moses, imparting His law and plan for forgiveness. He reaches through the darkness that surrounds us and says, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."(Matthew 11:28-29) He looks at those who hunger and says, "I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst."(John 6:35)  

Jesus prayed for the Father to give us a Comforter for these exact times when we are weary. "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you." (John 14:26) 

Read that last part again..."and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you." Holy Spirit, I pray that in this season of Lent and Holy Week that you bring to our minds a remembrance of the awesomeness of the Father's love, the sacrifice of His Son, and the hope that God will one day dwell again with us. Even when we may despair as we look around our world...even when we say "How much longer, Lord?" the Father loves us, the Son intercedes for us, and the Spirit comforts us. Let's remind ourselves and each other of these truths so that we never lose sight that He alone is worthy. 

"For unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, unto Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen." Eph 3:20-21
https://youtu.be/OIahc83Kvp4

--Gabrielle Haston

No comments:

Post a Comment