Saturday, March 10, 2018

Satisfied


Dan and I recently returned from a weekend away. I had forgotten to pray ahead about the weather, but God was gracious anyway. Sandwiched between two dreary days, He gave us a warm, clear day to hike – in February! For me, outdoor activities are worshipful experiences. I admire all that my Father has made and marvel at His creativity and incredible power. On this particular hike, we saw five glorious waterfalls! (For the curious, this was near Asheville, NC.)

As you may have guessed, I LOVE outdoor activities (Dan loves me). We ride bicycles, paddle kayaks, climb rocks, and hike mountains. There is a whole community of outdoor enthusiasts, and it’s easy for me to identify with them. There’s the gear and the clothing, and whole stores that cater to people like me. We carry certain bags, drive certain vehicles, wear Chacos (haha). So, my worshipful activity toward God slips into idolatry if I’m not careful. After all, I get great enjoyment from these activities, and soon it becomes about me. How many miles can I hike or bike? What level do I climb? What image do I project? (ouch) These blessings I receive from the Almighty rise up and take the throne of my heart. I forget to worship God and give Him glory. I forget to use our recreation to bless others.

Psalm 17:15, “Because I am righteous [through Jesus], I will see You. When I awake, I will see You face to face and be satisfied.”

Sounds simple, doesn’t it? Just seeing God’s face satisfies. Do you ever choose to just be with Him? To talk to Him without a list of requests? To listen quietly to Him? To seek Him in Scripture? Do you make time for reflection on what He has said? These things take time, but what could be more important? What could be more important.

Hiking, paddling, rock climbing – these things are fun, but they don’t satisfy. An opportunity to worship our Creator? Yes. An opportunity to build relationships with others? Yes. To satisfy my soul? No. Maybe you too have a hobby that’s enjoyable, but doesn’t satisfy? It might be time to throw it off the throne.

joyce hague

No comments:

Post a Comment