Sunday, August 30, 2026

It's Okay to Not Know

 


In Corrie Ten Boom’s book, “The Hiding Place,” Corrie tells a story about an interaction she had with her father when she was a young girl. She asked him what sex-sin was. He thought long and hard and then asked her to pick up his suitcase which was much too heavy for her. He told her that like that suitcase, so was knowledge that is too heavy for a young girl. He told her he would explain things to her once she was big enough to carry that knowledge and that she would need to trust him to carry it for her in the meantime. That was enough.

Like Corrie, I was recently made aware that a difficult situation had happened, but I was not allowed to know the details. Of course, I was curious and wanted to know more, but I simply had to be satisfied with just a little information. I wasn’t merely being nosey. mind you. I wanted information, so I could process things and form my own opinions about the matter. But general information had to be enough.

After the first few days passed, I noticed the demeanor of a few people who did know the details. The weight of that knowledge was heavy upon them. They looked strained and haggard. Swollen, red eyes hinted at much crying. I began to think, “Maybe it’s best I don’t know the details. This could be bad for my mental, emotional, and even physical health.”

Consider these verses from Ecclesiastes 1 (ESV):

“I the Preacher have been king over Israel in Jerusalem. And I applied my heart to seek and to search out by wisdom all that is done under heaven. It is an unhappy business that God has given to the children of man to be busy with. I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind.

What is crooked cannot be made straight, and what is lacking cannot be counted.

I said in my heart, ‘I have acquired great wisdom, surpassing all who were over Jerusalem before me, and my heart has had great experience of wisdom and knowledge. And I applied my heart to know wisdom and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also is but a striving after wind.

For in much wisdom is much vexation, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.’”

 

The Preacher (whom many assume was Solomon) knew all about what was happening in his kingdom and in much of the rest of the world – “all that is done under heaven.” He saw much suffering and injustice as well as meaningless activity. Even though he was a king, he felt the powerlessness of not being able to fix the evils of this world.

 

Again, some knowledge is just too heavy for us to carry. I felt this deep in my bones on October 7, 2023. If you’re uncertain about what happened on that date, I caution you to be careful if you research it. Terrible, horrible things happened in Israel. I watched too many troubling videos on social media. Lingering too long, I saw things I will never forget.

 

Yes, we want to stay informed about history and current events, but limiting the knowledge of evil, especially of which we have no control, might be wiser than consuming it straight into our hearts and minds over and over again. Many today are suffering from depression and anxiety, and although, these can be complex issues, feeding our hearts day-in and day-out on endless news cycles and social media posts cannot be helping us mentally, physically, emotionally, and even spiritually.

 

Like Mr. Ten Boom, our Father in Heaven waits to carry this knowledge that is too heavy for us. We can trust Him with it.

 

I Peter 5:6-8, “Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.”

 

The enemy can destroy us internally with knowledge we should not be bearing.

 

Protect your heart. Give your cares to the Lord. He’s strong and mighty. He can handle it.

 

joyce hague

No comments:

Post a Comment