Sunday, August 16, 2026

Tales From Beyond the Walls

 

The Bible says that "it is more blessed to give than to receive."  I want to share a couple of God sightings that happened lately to me about this verse!

Many of you know that I have had the privilege of sharing music, prayer, and speaking with the homeless ladies downtown at the Chattanooga Rescue Mission once a month during dailylight saving time of year. Karleen Howe was the one that introduced me to this as she had been doing it for a number of years. My stories of giving come from this ministry opportunity.

During our prayer time when I took requests, one of the ladies asked prayer for her need of walking shoes in the size of 9.5. She explained that she walked miles a day to go where she needed to be and often had no money for transportation. So during the next Tuesday Bible Study at church, I asked if anyone had an extra pair that size, and if they would pray for this request. Well, after the study that day, a lady named Joy in our church handed me a $100 check and asked me to buy the homeless woman a pair of 9.5 shoes! I was thrilled and thanked the Lord right away!

That week when I was thinking about where to shop, the Lord brought to my mind that my daughter, Merrilee, had brought me a new pair of shoes that did not fit her feet for work. I went into my closet, and you guessed it, they were beautiful 9.5 size shoes which I took to the mission for them to pass on to the lady! Of course, Merrilee was excited about being an answer to prayer!

So I took the money back to Joy, and she said that I was to keep it and spend it for any needs that came up! HOW FUN IS THAT!?

Well, the first 20 went to helping the campers from our church get to camp this summer. The next two 20's went to filling two back packs with supplies. The next 20 is my next story of the downtown mission. 

When I came out of the building last time, someone pointed out my very flat tire! They told me where there was a gas station with an air machine. While deciding if I should risk it, I noticed a rather sketchy looking man (whatever that means) in a car inside the mission parking lot. When I pulled out, he followed me and pointed to my flat tire. I rolled down the window, and he asked if I could use his help with getting air. I sent a quick prayer to the Lord for direction, and I decided maybe he was an "angel" sent to help me, so I said that would be great. 

We made it to the gas station and while filling my tire, I asked him what he been doing in the mission parking. He said that he was looking for a place to sleep, but the men's side was already filled up for the night.  He had asked the Lord to give him enough money to make it to Brainerd Rd. where there was another mission place to sleep. I just laughed inside and told him the Lord had answered his prayer and gave him the next $20!  It’s so amazing how God chooses to answer!

And for the last $20, I was able to give it to a missionary that has needs to get back to the field!

During the month of July, our leaders encouraged us to think and pray “Beyond the Walls.” I wonder what other prayers were answered during this time. If we all just give someone else whatever the Lord puts on our heart, think of the good that might be done.

--Mary Ramsey

Note from Sherry: I love this story Mary has shared with us. If you have something similar to share, please let me know. I’d be delighted to post your story here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment