Sunday, September 6, 2026

New Beginnings

 

I know it is not January and the “new year.” Nor is it the traditional time for new calendars and resolutions and diets. However, it is fall—another more practical time for new beginnings: school, Awana, schedules, et al. I have always loved the start of school—both as a student and a teacher.

As a student, I loved the gathering of school supplies: pencils, papers, books (oh, and new clothes). I enjoyed meeting new teachers and forming new relationships. I appreciated the clean slate: no negative grades in the grade book—that was always a confidence builder.  As a student, I wanted to do my best and needed to know my teacher would help.

As a teacher, I really valued the gathering of school supplies: pens, folders, curricula, books (not so many new clothes). I was exhilarated by meeting new students and returning faculty members. I really appreciated being able to start each class with a clarified syllabus, new PowerPoint presentations, and a fresh approach to things I had already learned or taught. I knew my students were anxious and needed to know I would help them learn.

As a believer, I and thankful for and treasure the new beginnings of each day. I am confident in the faithfulness of God to me. I am guarded by God’s personal knowledge of me and the hedge of protection He provides. I know He is loving me, is with me, and is guiding me.

Each day’s new beginning is predicated on God’s hesed love and mercy. Jeremiah tells of God’s mercies that are new every morning because He is faithful. "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning" (Lamentations 3:22-23). Whatever happened yesterday is over. My sins are forgiven, my opportunities are spent, and today is new and may be spent for God.

I am reminded that for each day, in each new beginning, God will be faithful no matter what I face. Paul reiterates this promise with an explanation that God is in control. "And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear" (I Corinthians 10:13). In our lives we face trials, tests, tumults that God will use for our benefit and His glory.


I am confident in the fact that God keeps His promises. The Psalmist speaks of God’s mercies, faithfulness, and steadfastness. “The Lord upholdeth all that fall  . . . the Lord is night unto all them that call upon him.” (145: 14a, 15). God kept His promise to Abraham by allowing him to father a great nation. God upheld His word to David, and Jesus Christ was born of David’s line. God promised the world a Savior, and “in the fulness of time” (Galatians 4), Jesus Christ came to “seek and save” all who were lost. God will continue to be faithful.

 

Yes, God is faithful. Am I? Oh, I am so thankful for new beginnings: each year, each day, each time I rush to Him with my pain, my sin, my problems. And Almighty God hears and calls me “Child.” This new beginning I am gathering promises that I know God will keep.

 

“But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness”. (Psalm 86:15)

 

--Janet Hicks

No comments:

Post a Comment