Sunday, March 19, 2023

When I Grow Up . . .

 When I grow up, I want to be just like my Aunt Jessie.  Yes, I know I'm supposed to be grown up, but. . . .

My mother was the first of six sisters to be married and to have children, so there were five sisters at home when I was born.  I was the second niece.  Jessie told me more than once that I was her favorite because everyone else doted on my sister, just twenty months older than I.  And Jessie was my champion from then on until the day she died.

She was my champion, my defender, my encourager, my counsellor, my prayer warrior, my friend.  I am tempted to illustrate all of those points, and I absolutely could, but I'm not going to.  I have had a whole lifetime of Jessie, but she was all those things for many other women as well.  Sometimes it was through her books and her column, From my Kitchen Window, in the Sword of the Lord.  For some women it was as their Sunday school teacher.  Others found that encouragement from a college teacher.  Some found it in SOLOS, the group for singles that my uncle and she founded.  Some sang in the choir with her.  Others were neighbors.  But all were touched by Jessie.

What can I do for other women that Jessie did for me? How can I grow up to be like Jessie?

            I can notice another woman.

            I can spend time with her.

            I can listen to her.

            I can entertain her, invite her into my home.

            I can brag on her, compliment her.

            I can value her children and husband.

            I can pray for her.

I've only just begun.  Could we be a church full of women just like Jessie? Would we make a difference in our church?  I, for one, mean to try.


                                                                ~~Faith Himes Lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment