Sunday, March 5, 2023

The Sacrifices of God

 

Another season is quickly passing. I have noted before that just when I feel settled in and ready to embrace a season, it is almost over, and this quick passage of time just seems to increase as my age increases. Possibly some of you know what I mean. I have always been a person of routine, and in many ways, that is a trait that has served me well. Recently, though, I have been a bit troubled that some of the Christian disciplines have become too routine. Sometimes it feels like going through the motions.

I thought of Psalm 51 during the sermon this week (not sure why.) So I’m taking a closer look at that Psalm, particularly verse 16: “For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering.” Let’s stop here for a minute. Does this statement trouble you? The book of Leviticus is full of instructions and regulations regarding the offering of sacrifices, and yet here and elsewhere we read that God is not pleased with sacrifices. Why all the fuss if that isn’t even what God really wants?

In this psalm, the reason seems clearer. In verse 6, David says that God wants “truth in the inward parts.” Verse 17 says that the “sacrifices of God are a broken spirit . . . and a contrite heart.” In verse 19, we read, “Then you shall be satisfied with the sacrifices of righteousness.”

Bringing sacrifices to God without a proper heart is just like going through the motions. It’s doing good things but not really loving God in the doing. The first thing is to have a right heart; then the physical sacrifice is meaningful. We can read our Bibles, go to church, even kneel in prayer without a heart of humility and brokenness. Jesus made some observations in the Sermon on the Mount that seem relevant here.

 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,” he said, “for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. . . Blessed are they who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled.” 

I recognize my poverty; I mourn over my sinfulness; I feel the need of my soul. I seek a life of true righteousness, and I trust I shall be filled.  Also, I affirm that I cannot do the seeking on my own, but must give myself to my good God for even the stirring of desire. He is the source of all things that are true and right. He is the one who gives meaning to even the offerings we bring. 

--Sherry Poff

 

No comments:

Post a Comment