Sunday, August 28, 2022

Not a Complainer

 

In the Bible we read again and again about how the complaining and murmuring Israelites angered the Lord. It seems that this really annoys Him. Complaining reflects a heart of ingratitude and a lack of trust in God. It also easily leads others to join into it too since we all have a predisposition for murmuring. Knowing this, I try not to be that person and thought I was doing okay with it. But then, recently I read the book, “Power in Praise,” by Merlin Carothers and felt challenged. It’s a slim, easy-to-read book, and I recommend it, although there are parts I’m not sure are correct (Like our pastor says, “Eat the meat, spit out the bones.”). Mr. Carothers makes a strong case for praising God and giving thanks in every situation, no matter how terrible or difficult or even evil.

 

Carothers says this, “To praise God is to express our acceptance of something that God is permitting to happen. So to praise God for difficult situations, as sickness or disaster, means literally that we accept its happening, as part of God’s plan to reveal His perfect love for us…I’ve met many people who are able to praise God for their circumstances, simply because they accept the word of the Bible that they are supposed to praise God in everything. Praising Him, they soon experience the results of an attitude of consistent thanksgiving and joy; and in turn, their faith is strengthened, and they can continue to live this way.”

 

After reading this, I wanted an “attitude of consistent thanksgiving and joy,” don’t you? I recognized that my faith needed strengthening, so I decided to try to give thanks in everything, especially the difficult, all throughout my day. Thankfully, I am not currently facing a major trial (I know many who are). Life is full of such things, so I might as well practice praising God for my minor “trials” and irritations until something bigger arises (as it likely will). As I began to practice this type of praising God, it did not take long for me to notice how many times throughout an ordinary day that I murmur to myself about various things. “Oh no, not another cloudy day.” “I hate Ooltewah traffic.” “Why does so-in-so have to be so hateful?” “Oh no, why is my car making that sound?” “My hip hurts.” Sometimes I complain out loud, but often I complain inwardly. And it’s more times than I care to admit.

 

Last week, I went to Walmart and had frozen foods in my cart that I was anxious to put in my home freezer. When I came outside, it was pouring rain, so I waited about 5 minutes, but my internal pressure was building since I had lingered a bit too long already. Once the rain slacked, I hurried to the car, threw my purse, keys, and phone on the seat, and promptly locked myself out of my car, stood in the misting rain, and began pouring sweat in the thick humidity. “Oh man!!” I had to go back inside Walmart to locate a phone to call my husband. Then, I waited for him in the parking lot trying not to fret over my frozen items. I remembered what I had been learning and started thanking and praising God for this ordeal and even quietly sang a praise song. It wasn’t easy, but it did help me be patient and peaceful. My husband shortly rescued me and my perishables, and all ended well. It would have still been okay if my perishables had perished. God numbers the hairs on our heads. He is aware of every detail of our lives and can manage things just fine no matter how things end. It is amazing how He holds things together!

 

Another day last week (likely another test from God) I really was having a strange noise in my car. I spent a whole morning dealing with that while caring for my infant grandson. What could possibly go wrong? I thanked God for this aggravation and asked Him to show me what to do about this problem since I did not even know where to begin. He did show me what to do. A clear thought of direction came to my mind. Things went much smoother than I could have imagined, and the people that worked on my car were more gracious, kind, and helpful that I could have asked. Due to circumstances unrelated to me, my car was placed ahead of three other cars whose owners were not sitting and waiting. Will it always go like this when I choose praise over complaining? Maybe not, but the biggest change was within me. Again, I was peaceful and patient. My grandson was peaceful and patient. Had I become irritated and worried, he may have picked up my mood and been difficult. None of this was in my control, and my response was not given in my own strength. It was certainly Christ working in me.

 

Remember, “And we know that in all things God works for good to those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28

 

I heard this verse quoted many times by my former pastor, Dr. Lee Roberson, in reference to the death of his infant daughter, Joy. He was inspired to begin the ministry of Camp Joy because of her death, and hundreds (maybe thousands) were saved through this great work. Even through the death of his child, Dr. Roberson trusted that God had a good plan in all of it. That inspires me even now to give God my praise in the little trials but also in the big ones. God is good. He loves us. He wants our ultimate good. And He’s powerful enough to bring it to pass. Being joyful in this knowledge just makes sense!

 

Are you willing to give it a try?

 

joyce hague

No comments:

Post a Comment