Sunday, August 21, 2022

Come

 

Revelation 22: 17: “And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.”

 In the last two years, over and over we have heard:

 “Stay at home and away from other people.”

“Keep 6 feet apart.”

“Isolation and precaution.”

“Schools closed...online learning only.”

“No indoor dining.”

“Churches closed. View online”

“Ballgames canceled (although outdoors).”

“Weddings, graduations, baby showers, birthday parties, etc., canceled, delayed, or only minimal attendance allowed to the sadness of those celebrating.”

“Wear masks.” (I tried to always smile with my eyes. Hope the other person saw itJ).

The list can go on. Whatever your opinion about this time in our history, here are my thoughts about the “stay away” and the “come.” What a contrast between the words!

 STAY AWAY means “to avoid on purpose.”

 COME means “to move toward something or someone; to approach; to move toward a person or object with a specific purpose.”

My daughter Debbie gave me a sweet plaque by Susan Branch that I have on my kitchen counter. I know Debbie means every word:

“Come in the evening,
Come in the morning,
Come when expected,
Come without warning.
Thousands of welcomes you’ll find here before you.
And the oftener you come, the more we’ll adore you.”

If my Debbie means that, God certainly wants me to come to Him! There are so many beautiful verses in His Word with the invitation to COME that have encouraged me. I cannot think of any verse that tells me God says “Stay away...isolate from Me,” if we are seeking Him. We are the ones who get away from Him. So BE ENCOURAGED:

Isaiah 55 is a chapter you need to read and rejoice in the truths there about God’s mercy. God states in verse 3: “Incline your ear (listen up), and come to Me. Hear and your soul shall live...”

We have to include Matthew 11:28-30: “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Jesus is on the other side of the yoke...a yoke prepared just for you so it fits. He helps you carry the load. Don’t you think He carries the hardest part? But He doesn’t say we don’t need to carry our share. He just says “COME and I will help you.”

How precious the way Jesus showed His love not just for grownups but for little ones!

 Matthew 19:14: Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of Heaven.”

I love to put my children, grands, and great-grands “in Jesus’ lap” before I go to sleep at night. Why? Because I KNOW Jesus said He wants them all to COME.

And why do I know I can “put my family in Jesus’ lap” every night 

Hebrews 4:16:Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”

Let’s revisit Revelation 22: 17 “And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.”

 If you have never accepted the Lord Jesus as your Savior, He says “Come.” He will not turn you away.

 --Maylou Holladay 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment