Sunday, March 20, 2016

Beauty

When I was a teenager, older women told me it was more important to be beautiful on the inside than on the outside. With all my insecurities, I wanted to believe that, but I had my doubts. Part of me believed that idea was a cop out for ugly girls. For me, it wasn’t enough for God to see my beauty. I wanted people to see it too! So, although it sounded selfish, I went on to pursue becoming beautiful outwardly.
   But beauty is an elusive thing. You can’t pin it down. It cannot be measured by science, and people differ on what they think is beautiful. People can actually develop a taste for ugly things. But some things are so radiant, they startle us, and we know it’s beautiful.
God personifies beauty. The Scriptures describe Him in beautiful terms: bright as the sun, glorious, magnificent, etc. And He made many beautiful things. Clearly, God enjoys beauty, so why should I not desire it too? Don’t most women have a natural desire to beautify their world, first in their own appearance and then in their surroundings?
We can take a cue from nature on where to begin. When I stand in an open field at night looking up at the stars, the incredible beauty of the sky causes me to think of how magnificent our great God is! The same thing happens when I stand on a beach looking out at the vast ocean or in the woods looking up at majestic mountain. I think if God’s Creation is this amazing, how much more amazing He must be! I see Him big and powerful! When people look at us, they should see a reflection of some of God’s attributes. All of the beauty of Creation points to Him, and my beauty should too.
Genuine beauty begins in our hearts, manifests outwardly, and always points to Him. I’m asking God to make me beautiful as He is beautiful – in wholeness and truth with the fruits of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control - Galatians 5:22-23). Although these are inward qualities, I believe they will come out in our actions, words, and even in our appearance. Being beautiful on the inside really does make us beautiful on the outside. (I’m a work in progress!)
The Apostle Paul says this, “And I want women to be modest in their appearance. They should wear decent and appropriate clothing and not draw attention to themselves by the way they fix their hair or by wearing gold or pearls or expensive clothes. For women who claim to be devoted to God should make themselves attractive by the good things they do.” I Timothy 2:9-10 NLT

So, if you’re feeling unattractive today, don’t worry! There’s hope! The best part is that it’s God’s work in us if we allow Him to do it.
Joyce Hague

No comments:

Post a Comment