Monday, May 9, 2011

Words of Love

Sunday morning--Mother's Day--on the way to church, Larry and I were listening to the radio. A man was talking about his mother---sweet words of appreciation about how she always got up early to make breakfast: bacon and eggs during the week and either pancakes or waffles on Saturday and Sunday. He said, "No one had to tell her to get up early. She did that because she loved her family."

Well, friends, I have to tell you something about me. I do not like getting up early to cook breakfast. I sure hope that's not the only measure of love for one's family! I am going to fail! I am grateful that my sweet husband likes cereal. When the kids were home, they knew that Mom would eventually get up on Saturday and cook breakfast (I actually specialized in muffins and eggs) but if they woke up hungry, they should just get a bowl of cereal and be patient.

Happily, there are other ways to show love. I was especially stirred by Michael Loftis' evening message when he was with us. He was talking about the influence of fathers, but it spoke right directly to the teacher as well as the mom in me. I took some notes. Here are the three things a dad/mom/teacher/friend can say to encourage:


1. It can be done. What wonderful words those are. When we feel like quitting,we all need to believe that our goals are possible.

2. You are not alone. This is a powerful truth. I am reminded of Ecclesiastes 4:9 & 10 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help him up.
3. I believe in you. We all need someone to believe in us, to tell us that we have value, that God can use us.

Don't you want to be that person for someone in your life? I do. I am asking God to show me who needs to hear these messages. I am so very grateful for those who have been there in my moments of disbelief and discouragement. Amy Wright, whose beautiful funeral service was on Tuesday, was that kind of encourager for friends and family. Several stood and gave eloquent testimony to her influence in their lives. I hope and pray that some day there will be folks to stand and say similar words about each of us.

--Sherry Poff

1 comment: