Sunday, May 22, 2011

Excuses! Excuses!

Excuses!  Excuses!

I hate teaching!  At least some of the time I do.  And this is that “some of the time.”  Right now I am fed up with students.  I teach on the quarter system so I still have four more weeks of the term.  And I’m tired, drained, and irritable.  I am tired of excuses! 
·         “I didn’t know I had to turn that in.”   (It’s been on your syllabus and class assignment schedule since the first day of the quarter!)
·         “Do I have to do it that way?”  (Yes, you do.  That is why I showed you how.)
·         “I still can’t decide on a topic for the speech.”  (The one that has the outline due tonight?)
·         “The power went off at 11:00 p.m. and I couldn’t take that test.”  (That test was due by 11:55!) 
·         “You’re taking points off because I went over the time limit?”  (Yes, that’s why I gave you a time limit.)
The later in the quarter it gets, the more elaborate the excuses.
            I have suddenly begun wondering if God is just as fed-up with my excuses when I think He’s telling me something He wants me to do.
·         “I’m too tired.”
·         “I’ve got too much to do.”
·         “It won’t make any difference anyway.”
·         “I will feel so foolish!”
·         “I’m afraid.”
·         “I don’t know what to say.”
·         “I don’t want to make him angry.”
·         “I can’t afford to do that.”
·         “I’m afraid they will hurt my feelings.”
I am just as full of excuses as my students are.  And these are my responses to what I think God wants me to do, not just what a speech teacher requires of me.  Does God get as exasperated with me as I get with my students?  I don’t know, but I know I grieve him.   Ephesians 4:30 commands me not to grieve the Holy Spirit, but I do.
Tonight I sat in the communion service and examined myself as Paul commanded us to before we participate.  I saw my excuses for what they were—excuses.  I don’t want to be an excuse-maker.  I want to be found faithful, trustworthy.  That is what God requires of me, that I be found faithful.  (I Corinthians 4:2)
Will you join me?  Will you help me not to make excuses?  Will you work to quit excusing yourself?  Can we work together?  No more excuses!
                                                            ~Faith Lamb

1 comment:

  1. Yes Faith! I will join you! Accountability here we come!!!!! Yikes...I scare myself sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete