Monday, May 16, 2011

EXTREME MAKEOVER – Temporal vs Eternal

Last night the Sharrock Family of Rossville, Georgia was featured on the television program Extreme Makeover Home Edition.  I remember when that is all we watched on the news as they filmed here locally.  I have watched this program in the past and always enjoyed seeing the dilapidated and unfit homes become new and clean, ready for the family to shout “Move That Bus”. Then we would be taken on a virtual tour of each room that had been set up just to the family’s likes and needs. They were no longer burdened by the insufficiencies of the previous home. Friends, family and strangers became ambassadors of good will for one busy week to become the salvation for one family.

Second Corinthians 5:1- 5 says, “For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.  For indeed in this house we groan, longing to be clothed with our dwelling from heaven, inasmuch as we, having put it on, will not be found naked. For indeed while we are in this tent, we groan, being burdened, because we do not want to be unclothed but to be clothed, so that what is mortal will be swallowed up by life.  Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge.”

If you continue reading chapter five of second Corinthians, Paul encourages the believers of the church in Corinth to always be of good courage. We prefer to be absent from the body and present with the Lord, but regardless of whether we are at home or absent we are to be pleasing to the Lord.

So when I put this into context concerning me and my earthly tent, dilapidated and unfit, I long for my dwelling in heaven. Instead of “Move That Bus” I want to cry out to the Lord “Take Me Home”.  But I am an ambassador of Christ and God is making an appeal through me on behalf of Christ for the salvation of others.

Tina Laubscher

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Looking forward to my new home as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to be reminded of the wonderful home waiting for me and the new sinless body I will have. It is so easy to get attached to this world and forget that something far better awaits us.

    ReplyDelete