Sunday, July 28, 2024

Blind Spots

 



 “Search me, God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting.

Psalm 139:22-23 (NIV)

I have been teaching some of our older residents at the TN Baptist Children’s Homes (where I work) how to drive. I instruct them to avoid hanging out in others’ blind spots. How many times have I myself been sure that it was safe to change lanes only to see a car in my mirror at the last second?

We all have blind spots that have nothing to do with driving. We don’t think we do, because we cannot see them. We are literally blind to them. I don’t think any of us want to be unkind, negative, critical, disobedient, disrespectful, selfish, prideful, etc. And isn’t it difficult to accept it and not become defensive when someone else points out our faults, our blind spots? It’s painful and embarrassing to realize that we are not okay – that we need a little work.

God has been using the book, “Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely,” by Lysa TerKeurst to show me how I have allowed past rejections to impact my life. This has been a blind spot for me. I am growing and learning still even in middle age. You would think I would have sorted these things out by now, right?

Are you brave enough to ask God to search your heart and point out any offensive ways in yourself? With trepidation I did, and He answered with this helpful resource. He never seeks to hurt me but only to bring healing. He can be trusted with my vulnerable places. He is loving and gentle (often gentler than people). You can allow Him into your most secret and closed off spaces.

I want that healing, don’t you?

joyce hague

No comments:

Post a Comment