Sunday, April 28, 2024

Why Yogurt Caused Me to Roll My Eyes

 Earlier this week, I opened some yogurt for breakfast to find a quote printed on the underside of
the foil. It said, “Create a life today that’ll be worth writing about tomorrow,” credited to Nancy
Jooyoun Kim. I’ve heard the sentiment before and get the intention of the statement, but this
week, I rolled my eyes.

As an avid reader with a degree in English Literature, it has been drilled into me that an essential
component of a good story is conflict. Stories without some kind of obstacle to overcome, where
everyone is happy and good with life, are boring. So when I read that quote on my yogurt in the
middle of an incredibly busy work week, I was annoyed.

Over the past year, there has been plenty of conflict in my life, plenty of obstacles to overcome,
and plenty of anything-but-boring days. I’m all for doing hard things and pushing oneself beyond
what you thought you could handle, but I’m tired. A simple, happy, boring-to-read-about day
sounds wonderful right now.

We live in a fast-paced world that values high productivity and pushing beyond our limits. But
we were not designed to function at our highest capacity all the time. Rest is a gift from our
Creator built into who we are as image-bearers and the order of the world (Genesis 2).

The result of always striving for a story-worthy day is high anxiety and burnout. There are
absolutely seasons of life when we need to push ourselves to do the hard thing. But there are also
seasons of life when we need to allow ourselves to take a step back and enjoy a time of rest.

Days of rest may be boring to read about, but they don’t have to be boring to experience. There
can be such simple beauty in taking a step back. There is more time to notice the natural beauty
around us and to connect with those we love on a deeper level. There is room to thrive instead of
merely surviving.

This may be a busy season of life for you as it is for me, but I encourage you to find time to put
aside the busyness in your life and allow yourself to rest.

May my heart be enthralled
By the sacred and simple things
May I find it all holy
May I learn to be content
And know the joy of resting
A place where perfect peace can hold me
So lead me to still waters
And let this be my new prayer
I want...
A little more love, A little less hustle
A little more quiet, A little less noise
A little more wide-eyed wonder
At the simple things I'm holding
Embracing ordinary moments.

“More Love Less Hustle” by Jenny Simmons

--Concetta Swann

No comments:

Post a Comment