Sunday, April 21, 2024

His Soldier

In sitting down to write an introduction for this post, there are a lot of things that come to mind, but I am excited to get right to the point, so I'll skip the backstory for now. I hope you have time to do what the next paragraph asks...

This poem comes with an important request: please don't read it by itself! It was written to be lyrics for the Scottish tune most familiar by the song title "Loch Lomond," the melody having first appeared in McGibbons' Scots Tunes Book 1, published in 1742. The second part of my request is that you play the instrumental music while reading the poem, letting the music bring the words to life, so to speak. The link to do that is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvMttq9zBTY&list=RDGMEM8h-ASY4B42jYeBhBnqb3-wVMYvMttq9zBTY&start_radio=1

Thank you, and may His truth stir and encourage your soul as it has mine!

-MaryBeth Hall


His Soldier

The Angel of the LORD (Jesus) sets up His military camp in a circle around those who deeply revere Him and defer to His right to govern their lives, and is intentionally in the process of arming / equipping them for successful war. Good it is, and see - Oh taste it for yourself - how blessed is the warrior who will seek refuge in Him! -Psalm 34:7-8


Jesus, Divine Warrior*, as Scripture proclaims,

Has set up His camp all around me.

He gives me His armor to wear in His name,

And though fierce is the fight, mine's the victory.


The belt is His truth; it holds me together,

Anchors other armor, and it's freeing.

His righteousness, a breastplate my heart shall e'er cover

His untarnished holiness – what a gifting!


Shoes under my feet of a sure foundation:

His gospel of peace knowing, going.

And faith is my shield when the fiery darts fly in,

That I'll take up and hold with His helping.


Salvation's helmet I receive with great joy,

Loving all that it means now and ever.

His Spirit takes His Word in the battle to employ.

His hands o'er mine to wield it; foes tremor.


In prayer always to He Who leads Heaven's host,

For all things at all times for all soldiers,

I call to the One Whom I need the very most.

By His great sacrifice, He has won the war.


"Be strong in the Lord, in the power of His might,

That against Satan's schemes you may stand fast."**

I follow Heaven's Prince Who redeemed me from the night;

And in Glory I'll join Him at long last.


Jesus sets up His camp all around me...***



*Is. 59:14-20, **Eph. 6:10-18, ***Ps. 34:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment