Sunday, January 14, 2024

Careful Now





All my life I have loved being outdoors. As a child I spent a lot of time hanging in trees, riding my bike, splashing in creeks (or ditches I pretended were creeks), and scratching in the dirt. My mother had to MAKE me come inside at the end of the day. Being outside sometimes feels like a spiritual experience for me. God’s fingerprints are all over Creation, and I feel the wonder of His greatness.  Unfortunately, the Enemy knows this about me and sees it as an opportunity for my undoing. 

Recently, I participated in an herbal medicine class. My love for plants and fascination with how they can be used for healing led me down this path. There’s another group of people who are big into nature and herbal medicine: pagans. Pagans (and New Agers) dominate this field of study. The lure of being in nature, experiencing that spiritual feeling, prayer, and a sense of connectedness with nature and the Universe are attractive to many. Being one’s own god is intoxicating – having that feeling of having power or control. While taking my class, I rubbed shoulders with several pagans who were very passionate. Having shared several weekends together, these ladies became my friends. Careful… 

I have a strong thirst to learn more about this subject and have been invited to an herbal conference in Florida. This conference is being held at a campground which appeals to us nature lovers. There’s also a bunk house where I could bunk with other ladies at the conference. There will be circle-time and music. I researched the presenters and musicians. Although not overtly pagan on their websites, the pagan vibes were there. This conference feels more like a worship service to me. But then I rationalize. I just want to go for the learning about herbs. I don’t have to participate in the pagan rituals. 

Careful, whispers the Holy Spirit. The relationships would be key for pulling me down an idolatrous road. I would be spending lots of time with pagan “friends.” Some of the ladies from my class would likely be there. It could be subtle too. At my age, I tend to think I would not so easily bend to peer pressure or be influenced. But that’s silly. We are all influenced by those around us. We all experience peer pressure. I remember my mother talking about situations among her peers when she was in her 80s. During our last class, we gathered in a circle to “toast” to each other (with a non-alcoholic herbal drink), and I wondered where this was leading and if I would have the courage to step back if it became ritualistic. It did not, thankfully, but I was edgy. 

I have decided that if I ever do attend any herbal conferences, that I will not spend much time in the presence of these influencers. I certainly do not need to room (or camp) with them. Will I be friendly and kind? Absolutely. Ready to share my faith? Of course, but I should not become bosom buddies with those who do not follow Christ. And I should put on my Armor ahead of time. (I have discovered a Christian Herbal Association, but they do not have any events planned right now.) 

Proverbs 12: 26, “One who is righteous is a guide to his neighbor, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.” ESV 

Proverbs 13: 20, “Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.” ESV 

Do you have any natural interests or passions that the Enemy might use against you? Things that maybe aren’t sinful but could lead to idolatry? Careful. 

joyce hague

No comments:

Post a Comment