Sunday, January 7, 2024

A Challenge and a Word of Encouragement for the New Year

 

Twenty twenty-four is upon us! In thinking about what to write this week, I decided to combine two things that I myself have been pondering in regard to a new year.

            First, I would love to challenge you with something I am planning to do myself. I have heard my husband often say, “We don’t drift toward intimacy with God.” We see this in other relationships as well. If we aren’t intentional about maintaining or even growing a relationship, we drift away from it. If we want to grow closer to God, learn more about Him, love Him more, and become more like Christ, we need to be intentional. And the start of a new year is a good time to take stock of where we are. I came across this article with a questionnaire of sorts that allows you to reflect on the previous year and then asks questions about the upcoming year to help you be intentional in growing that important relationship with the Lord. For example, it’s great to want to spend time in the Word every day, but without a plan, that is less likely to happen. This is true for prayer as well. Also, we want to fight sin in our lives, but without looking at ourselves and recognizing our sin patterns, again, this becomes more challenging. I will attach the link here, but if it does not work, type the following into your internet search engine: Melissa Kruger “New Year, New Beginnings.” This should hopefully take you right to this article on The Gospel Coalition’s website. In this article, there is a printable guide for you to work through these “reflecting and refocusing” questions on your own.

 https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/melissa-kruger/new-year-new-beginnings-vitally-important-consider-ways/

            Secondly, here is how I am encouraging myself at the start of this new year. I hope it encourages you as well. At the beginning of my day planner for this year, I have written out this question and answer from the Heidelberg Catechism. I love how it weaves together truths from the Word of God to create something so beautiful and encouraging. I plan to turn to this reminder often throughout the year.

Question 26: What do you believe when you say, “I believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth?” That the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who out of nothing created heaven and earth and all that is in them, and who still upholds and governs them by his eternal counsel and providence, is, for the sake of Christ his Son, my God and my Father. In him I trust so completely as to have no doubt that he will provide me with all things necessary for body and soul, and will also turn to my good whatever adversity he sends me in this life of sorrow. He is able to do so as almighty God, and willing also as a faithful Father.

            Ladies, the eternal God is our Father. He is for us, He sustains us, and He holds this year in His hands. He is sovereign over all that will occur in these 366 days. Let us look ahead with confidence, trusting our all-wise and good God.

--Amy O'Rear

No comments:

Post a Comment