Sunday, October 23, 2022

Walk

Remember when you could hardly wait for your child to walk, to take his/her first steps.  I was especially anxious for my fifth child to walk because he was such a chunk it wore me out to carry him.  (I'm not sure I remembered with each child how much more difficult it was to keep track of the child with increased mobility.)

I was in Atlanta with my daughter and son-in-law when my grandson Ruben decided it was time to walk and simply took off.  He made it look easy.

Today I have no grandchildren who need to learn to walk, but instead have had to learn to walk again myself after knee surgery.  One of my aunts is learning to walk again after a minor stroke.  Two aunts have had to walk again after falls and breaks.  So sometimes adults must learn to walk again.  

All of us must learn a spiritual walk.  This definition of walk does not refer to simply placing one foot in front of another.  Instead this definition (according to dictionary.com) is "to conduct oneself in a particular manner; pursue a particular course of life."  The illustration in the dictionary is "to walk humbly with thy God."

If you are using either the KJV or NKJV there are numerous uses of this word "walk."  If you are using a newer translation, other words are substituted.  But since I am thinking of "walking", this is the translation we will use.

Colossians 2:6, "As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in Him."  If I can walk in Him, that makes the walk easier.

Galatians 5:16, "This I say then, Walk in the Spirit and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh."  You can't do both, walk in the Spirit and in the flesh.

Romans 8:1, "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."  What a wonderful thought--no condemnation!

I John 1:6-7, If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth. But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin."  There are no frauds here.  The light shows truth.

II John 1:6, "And this is love, that we walk after His commandments."  Love is the mark of the Christian according to John 13:34-35.

I Thessalonians 2:12, "That you would walk worthy of God, who has called you into His kingdom and glory."  When I was a teenager, I never experienced teen rebellion.  I was afraid of bringing shame to my father's and grandfather's ministries.  If I wanted to walk worthy for my family's honor, how much more should I walk worthy of God.

To me, the most specific instructions on how to walk worthy of God, come in Ephesians 4:1-3, "I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

Let's learn how to walk!


                                                                ~~Faith Himes Lamb



No comments:

Post a Comment