Sunday, September 5, 2021

In the Shadow of the Almighty

 





In the Shadow of the Almighty 

Sometimes it seems that Jesus scares us to death to teach us a lesson! So it was, when He walked on water to reach his disciples who were straining against a rough sea. They thought He was a ghost! Like, what else could it be? I imagine them doing a doubletake as Jesus was passing by the boat. Another time, Jesus slept while they bailed water during a storm. They were terrified! When they agreed to follow Jesus, they were in for an adventure! (I have heard it said that that Adventure is a trial with a fancy name.) 

Lately, I have wondered what kind of an adventure (aka: trial) we followers of Jesus may experience in the coming days. We say we want to see the Hand of God, but do we really? Likely, it will scare the pants off us! 

Unfortunately, I naturally lean towards worrisome thoughts anyway which lead to anxious feelings. Recently, after hearing about the happenings in Afghanistan and about the USA’s enemies gearing up for war and knowing our southern border is wide open, I began to worry about another 9/11-type attack. I can vividly imagine all sorts of horrible things. But I have learned to go straight to the Lord when I feel anxious and confess these thoughts and feelings to Him. He ALWAYS brings me back to a bit of Scripture for encouragement.

This time He gave me Psalm 91 (HCSB):

 

The one who lives under the protection of the Most High
dwells in the shadow of the Almighty.

I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”

He Himself will deliver you from the hunter’s net,
from the destructive plague.
He will cover you with His feathers;
you will take refuge under His wings.
His faithfulness will be a protective shield.
You will not fear the terror of the night,
the arrow that flies by day,
the plague that stalks in darkness,
or the pestilence that ravages at noon.
Though a thousand fall at your side
and ten thousand at your right hand,
the pestilence will not reach you.
You will only see it with your eyes
and witness the punishment of the wicked.

Because you have made the Lord—my refuge,
the Most High—your dwelling place,
no harm will come to you;
no plague will come near your tent.
For He will give His angels orders concerning you,
to protect you in all your ways.
They will support you with their hands
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the young lion and the serpent.

Because he is lovingly devoted to Me,
I will deliver him;
I will protect him because he knows My name.
When he calls out to Me, I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble.
I will rescue him and give him honor.
I will satisfy him with a long life
and show him My salvation.

 

Did you know this psalm was written in a time of God’s judgement on the wicked? The commentary in my Bible reads, “The terror and arrow, together with a thousand may fall, envision God’s people under attack. If the psalm were describing every situation of danger, it would clearly be untrue: faithful people have fallen prey to these and other perils. It is better to allow Psalm 91:8 to guide the interpretation, pointing to cases in which these events (plague, battle) are sent as God’s recompense on the wicked…, in such cases, the faithful can be sure of God’s protection.” 

For a while now, I have felt that God cannot, in His holiness, withhold His judgement on the USA. There is so much blatant wickedness in our land.  My prayer partners and I are praying for mercy and revival. I hope you are too. But if judgement comes, I am leaning into these verses and finding rest in the shadow of the Almighty. To rest in His shadow requires that we draw close to Him. Are you resting there too, tucked under His mighty, protective wings? 

joyce hague


No comments:

Post a Comment