Sunday, March 7, 2021

Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

When I was a teenager, my mother was the assistant editor for the small-town weekly newspaper. She told me writing headlines was difficult. The headline had to be just so long, but not too long. It had to fit the capabilities of the linotype machine. It was intended to give the reader a hint of what information the article contained; there needed to be adequate specific details in this not-too-short, not-too-long headline. Back then, there was at least a pretense that what was printed was true, so the headline needed to be true, as well.

Today, there don’t seem to be any considerations of that sort. Opinion articles masquerade as “news;” and the news may or may not be true, but it is published, nevertheless. Tomorrow’s news may contradict today’s news. Of special annoyance to me is the common occurrence of a headline which gives an impression exactly the opposite of the “news” in the article. I often gripe about the dishonest (relative to the article) headlines to my long-suffering husband, who every day asks, “What’s new in the news?” (Generally, at that point, he gets an “opinion piece” from me regarding the news, lack of news, dishonest news, opinion-oriented news or useless news.)

If you spend any time reading the day’s headlines, you are likely to become discouraged or depressed, hopeless or frightened. This is not good for us. Whether the news is good or bad, it may still not be true. Regardless of what the outside world tells us, in our quest for truth we should always wonder, “What does God say?” 

I looked in God’s Word to find out, and made a list of wonderful headlines we could use every day to replace the negative ones put in front of our eyes each morning. Some of these are opinions – God’s. They are the most worthy and relevant opinions. Some are “news” – information of use to us. There are hundreds; you can make your own list of encouraging headlines relevant to your situation. I printed my list and hung it over my desk—above the dark headlines of the day.

“The earth is the Lord’s and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it.” Ps. 24:1 

“The Lord is good to all, and his mercy is over all that He has made.” Ps. 145:9

“He shall judge the world with righteousness, and the people with His truth.” Ps 96:13

“Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” Ps. 119:105

“If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” Jn 14:3

“I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you forever; even the Spirit of truth.” Jn. 14:16,17

“Do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the Kingdom and God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” Mt. 6:31-33 

“We say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?’” Heb. 13:6 

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me.” Ps 23:4

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” 2 Pet 3:9

“God, who has reconciled us to Himself by Jesus Christ, has made Him to be sin for us, Who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.” I Cor 5:21

Some of these are longer than the headlines of today’s news, but God’s love, shelter, comfort and strength are higher, wider, deeper and longer-lasting than anything our world offers.

--Lynda Shenefield

No comments:

Post a Comment