Sunday, September 6, 2020

The Good Hand of Our God

 

If you are reading THE ONE YEAR BIBLE through, you will have been in Ezra and Nehemiah like I have. Now...if it has been a long time since you read these books, take the time...so many nuggets in there for you. This one is the good (gracious) hand of my God” in both the writings of Ezra and Nehemiah.

 

**How did Ezra recognize the good hand of his God? He knew the Scriptures:

 

Ezra 7:6: This Ezra came up from Babylon. He was a teacher well-versed in the Law of Moses, which the Lord, the God of Israel, had given. The king had granted him everything he asked, for the hand of the Lord his God was on him.

 

7:9... according to the good hand of his God upon him.

NIV... for the gracious hand of his God was on him.

 

**Ezra knew where his courage and strength came from when he had to go before the king. This caused the king to listen to Ezra.

 

7:28... Because the hand of the Lord my God was on me, I took courage.

KJV...And I was strengthened as the hand of the Lord my God was upon me

 

8:18... the gracious hand of our God was on us.

KJV... by the good hand of our God upon us.

 

Ezra 8:22  ...We had told the king, “The gracious hand of our God is on everyone who looks to Him...”

**There was trouble in Ezra’s time. But when the enemy came, Ezra realized it was that very gracious, good hand of God, his Heavenly Father, that took care of him and his people.

8:31...The hand of our God was on us, and He protected us.

(KJV)...The hand of our God was upon us, and He delivered us from the hand of the enemy.

 

Nehemiah wrote about the same “good hand of God” on him.

 

**Both Nehemiah and Ezra had to approach the king for help. The good hand of God opened that door for them. The king noticed they were different.

 

Nehemiah 2:8 ... because the gracious hand of my God was on me, the king granted my requests.

 

**Nehemiah used his own testimony to encourage others to get busy and work...

 

Nehemiah 2:18.  I also told them about the gracious hand of my God on me and what the king had said to me.They replied, “Let us start rebuilding.” So they began this good work.

 

When we think of the phrase “God’s good, gracious hand” on us, we realize how personal our relationship to our Heavenly Father is. When a person kindly places a hand on our shoulders or gives us hugs, we know they are trying to encourage us.

 

 Every one of us reading this...right now...needs to feel the “good, gracious hand of our God” on us.  He cares for us just like a loving shepherd (Psalm 23), touching us “with His good hands” when we need encouragement or even direction to walk a different way. Today I hope you can say, like Ezra and Nehemiah: “And I was strengthened as the hand of the Lord my God was upon me,” and then encourage others with your testimony.

 --Maylou Holladay

No comments:

Post a Comment