Sunday, August 30, 2020

The To-Do List



I LOVE a To-Do list! I get such satisfaction out of writing down everything I want to get done in a day’s time and then crossing it off as I go along. I’ve been known to add something to the list so I can mark through it. I know I’m not alone in this. The feeling of accomplishment is such a great reward! I sometimes forget to bring my list to the LORD though. That might seem trivial, but hours and minutes build into days and years. This is what life is made of. I am building a life. All my efforts to live a good life and serve Him are wasted without Him filling and directing me. It becomes my project and my priorities instead of His. I come to think I know best.

 Psalm 127:1, “Unless the LORD builds a house, its builders labor over it in vain, unless the LORD watches over a city, the watchman stays alert in vain.”

 I cannot help but think of the massive project we have in rebuilding our church and school right now. If we really believe it all belongs to Him, we must consult Him regarding every step of the process. What does God want for this facility? How does He want to use it? How does it fit with His priorities? In what ways will it bring Him glory? Are we asking Him? Are we going to be upset if it seems less than what we hoped? Do we trust that His way really is the best way? Do we believe He cares? When Solomon built the Temple, God cared enough to provide detailed instructions, and it was magnificent! I believe He has good things in store for us and look forward to the day we are all together in the new sanctuary joyfully worshipping Him! As wonderful as that will be, the new sanctuary will also only be temporal. But there’s a better one,

 

Hebrews 8:1-2, “…we have this kind of high priest, Who sat down at the right hand of the throne of Majesty in the heavens, a minister of the sanctuary and the true tabernacle, which the LORD set up, and not man.”

 

Let us fervently pray.

 

joyce hague


No comments:

Post a Comment