Sunday, July 12, 2020

Working in Your Dance Clothes

A few days ago, a friend sent me a video of her small daughter folding laundry. The little one’s enthusiasm and skill were charming, but what struck me was her “work clothes.” She was wearing a blue tutu – to do laundry! The idea really set me back. Suppose we did our work in our dance clothes?  

 Growing up poor and on a farm, we had to be careful with our “good clothes.” They were only for church and weddings. And we couldn’t wear our school clothes to do farm work. All of us, even the firstborn (me), had to wear hand-me-downs, even for “good clothes.” To this day, I struggle with the idea of wearing new or decent clothes at home. Shouldn’t I be saving them for a special occasion? And now, in this pandemic, there are no special occasions, but it still bothers me to wear my nice things without a reason! I “have to” wear grubbies at home. That’s their proper place.

 The little girl’s good example reminded me that we could wear what makes us happy, even on ordinary days. I could wear my tutu when I cook and my mermaid outfit to do laundry. And when I write, I’ll wear my Anne of Green Gables jacket and long skirt (I LOVE those!). I don’t actually have any of those, but I could imagine. I’ll do dishes in my purple sequined medieval dress with tall pointy hat, which I do have. But I would wear it only in my imagination, because I wouldn’t want to get dishwater on it. (Oh, boy, here we go again.)

 God’s dress code has nothing to do with whether we wear rags or sequins. He’s not impressed with our fine clothing nor disgusted with our worn-out things. In fact, He tells us not to be concerned with what we wear. He offers us a better wardrobe than we can imagine.

 In Isaiah 61, the Savior claims the Spirit of the Lord gives Him the power to bestow relief and gifts to the poor, the brokenhearted, the captives and the mourners. He gives this promise, “To those who mourn in Zion, to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit.” Is 61:3

 The response from the blessed one is gratitude.

 “I will greatly rejoice in the Lord; my soul shall exult in my God, for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.” Is 61:10

 He says our garments of salvation and righteousness are represented by the beautiful clothing of a bride and groom. The clothing He gives us is perfect and eternal, not in the sense of “future" eternal, but in the here and now and forever.

 Do we think about this clothing God has provided? If pretending to wear a tutu or a medieval dress lifts our spirits and makes us smile, how much more would the recognition of the reality of God’s perfect, gorgeous dress for us change our mindset in this present daily life? We are daughters and sons of the king, and he has provided royal dress for us. Could anything be better than salvation and righteousness, to replace our own “righteousnesses (which) are as filthy rags?” Is. 64:6.

 If we lose awareness of our royal clothing, we might carelessly slip back into our old rags that cause us discouragement, weakness, discontent, and sorrow. His provision is not our “pretend” clothing; in fact, it is a tragic pretense for us to think we are still in our former filthy rags, unworthy, unlovable or useless.

 We are not idle princesses, strutting in our finery. We have work to do. As Jesus left His disciples on earth, He gave them “the promise of My Father” and told them to wait until they were “clothed with power from on high.” Luke 24:49. Our work clothes are our dance clothes -- salvation, righteousness, praise and power – the finest and most beautiful pattern, fabric, and jewels available!

--Lynda Shenefield

No comments:

Post a Comment