Sunday, May 17, 2020

Thank you for everything

Last week I could not get away from the song Still.  I sang it over and over, night and day.  I looked it up on YouTube and heard Hillsong and others sing it.  I cried over it.  I prayed through it.  I praised God in it.

            Hide me now under your wings.
            Cover me within Your mighty hand.

            Find rest, my soul, in Christ alone.
            Know His power in quietness and trust.

            When the oceans rise and thunders roar,
            I will soar with You above the storms.
            Father, You are king over the flood.
            I will be still and know You are God.

            Easter Sunday, April 12, 2020, was the day every single person in Grace Baptist Church went through a storm that will change his or her life forever.  In the midst of the pandemic storm, a tornado took our buildings at the corner of Shallowford and Jenkins and left twisted metal and debris.  Now there are many questions about how the future will look, how the Church will cope, how the buildings will be rebuilt, what services will look like.

            Further down Jenkins, that storm hit my daughter’s house.  The tornado left her roof, barely, but swept her yard clean of trees and flowers, barn, storage building, rabbit pen, dog pen. It crashed trees through the windows and brickwork.  I have watched as she coped with the traumatic losses from that storm that hit her house.  And there are questions.  So many questions.

            As I’ve watched through the storm, I have been grateful that I could soar above the storm.  But this week a song from my youth surfaced.  I started singing it in the night when I could not sleep, in the day as I worked here, and as I spent time helping my daughter.

            Thank You, Jesus, for all You’ve done.
            Thank You, Lord.
            Thank You, Jesus, for victories won,
            Oh, thank You, Lord,
            For Thy love and tender care,
            For Thy Word and answered prayer.
            Thank You, Jesus, for everything.
            Thank You, Lord.

            So this week I want to say thank You.  I had been listing all the ways God had protected my daughter and our church when I felt as if a bolt of lightning hit me.  Look at that second song.  The things listed there are the things that no tornado or storm of any kind can ever take away from us.  So thank You, Lord, for protection through the storm, and for everything.

                                                                        Faith Himes Lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment