Sunday, May 10, 2020

Corona Virus Quarantine Thoughts from the Back Porch

So, I’ve been thinking lots about this virus and the inconvenience of it all. And I
thought I came to a conclusion about why this is so hard for me. Generally, I am a
“go with the flow” kind of person. I think that working in a church office for 29 years
I have seen so much sadness and grief that I usually can put things into great
perspective. And, during my life when I have gone through difficult times, I have
turned to God’s Word, trusted mentors and Christian friends, and good solid Christian
authors who have really given me great insight in helping me to see that God is and
always will be in control. He is our creator and therefore we belong to Him. He wants
the best for us and while that sometimes is very difficult to see or imagine, it is true.
He created us to bring glory to Him! He allows bad things to come into our lives so
that we will see our need for Him. He wants a relationship with us. So, I do recognize
these things, but I still felt like this situation was out of my control and I was really
bothered by the way it made me feel. 
I searched the scriptures for control and kept coming up with verses talking about
self-control. No, not self-control, I said to myself, but control of the situation – me
being able to control my situation…
I have stewed over this for several days and then out of the blue this morning it
came to me. The fruit of the spirit in Galatians 5:22 “But the fruit of the spirit is love,
joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control;
against such things there is no law.” (ESV) What I have been pondering is wrong,
it’s not about control, but it is about love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,
faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
I know that these all work together as one fruit and if one is out of sync, then there
is a lack in all these areas. Maybe God is telling me that while I thought it was a lack
of control over my life and my situation that was affecting me, it is really a lack of
self-control or total dependence on God. Hard for me to admit. I believe my faith in
Christ is very strong, but is God showing me it’s not strong enough? Of course!
There is always room for improvement in everything and sometimes it takes a big
deal to get our attention. 
So, I will pray God will give me patience as we wait, self-control as I miss my kids,
grandkids and my daily routine, joy in the midst of the unknown, peace that only
God provides, kindness to those grocery clerks and pharmacists that I may do
business with, goodness and gentleness as I do what I can to help who I can, and
yes, self-control because right now, this very moment I realize -  I am not and never
have been in control. Praise God that He is!

Pam Dratnol

No comments:

Post a Comment