Sunday, February 9, 2020

The Job





A few years ago, I was excited about a new job. It meant more money, and we really needed it with two girls in college and their subsequent weddings. It had been a long time since I had worked a job with full benefits including a membership to a fitness center, and it felt good. I felt I was contributing in a meaningful way to the household expenses. Everything appeared wonderful. But it was a trap, and it took six years to wriggle free. The stress saddled me with an unbearable load. The work was tedious, the commute tension-filled, and certain coworkers added friction. In addition, I felt dismissed and unappreciated by those in authority. It was one of the most difficult times of my life – a refining fire. Every morning I sat in the parking garage begging God to give me the strength to get through another day and to do it with holiness. The circumstances squeezed me in ways that challenged my sin nature daily. I didn’t like the things I was seeing in myself. I begged God to help me love the people who made my life miserable. Yes, it was a trying time.

Once we were in a better place financially, I left that job. Today, I work part-time at a job I love. My life is more balanced and less stressful although I stay busy. I feel valued and appreciated. I am healthier physically and mentally. These verses remind me of these circumstances, because God heard my cries and truly has brought me out to a place of abundance:

Psalm 66:10-12: “For You, God, tested us; You refined us as silver is refined. You lured us into a trap; You placed burdens on our backs. You let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and water, but You brought us out to abundance.”

Vs. 3, “…’How awe-inspiring are Your works!’”

Are you in a difficult place right now? Ask God to show you steps for a way out and then take that first step, followed by the next. If that’s impossible now, lean into Him for daily strength and take one day at a time. Practice self-care too, so you can serve others better.

joyce hague

No comments:

Post a Comment