Sunday, August 18, 2019

The Time Share


The same day this post goes live, Dan and I will be in Savannah, GA enduring a Time Share presentation. (Did I say that out loud?) Yes, I signed us up against my better judgment, because in a weak moment, the prizes seemed amazing. Since we have no intention of purchasing a Time Share, I needed a plan before going into a high-pressure sales pitch. Proverbs 8 tells me wisdom is accessible to those who seek her, so I began searching the internet (the source of all wisdom, right?) for ways to resist pushy sales people. Are you curious what I learned?
Here’s what is recommended from various sources:
As soon as you arrive, confirm the time limit and tell them you must leave at that time. Periodically check your watch.
Look bored and wear a stone face.
Beforehand, resolve with your partner to stand firm, be united, and not waver.
Do not ask questions or make small talk. This only encourages them.
Let them know upfront you are only there for the prizes, you will not be buying anything, and you will not change your mind.
Say this (repeatedly if necessary): “I don’t want to purchase this.” “No thanks.” “We’re not interested.”
Do not give them personal information. It will be used against you.
Try not to get yourself in this situation again. (my personal favorite)
I am doing my best to mentally prepare for this onslaught, but I have to ask myself, do I prepare for spiritual warfare as thoroughly? Do I really take it seriously? I work for a Christian ministry, and with maturity I have learned a couple of things: I don’t know as much as I think I do, and I’m in over my head. I must prepare before going into battle by spending time in prayer and seeking wisdom for difficult situations, first from Scripture, then from other reliable sources. And maybe even the internet.
Wish me luck!
 joyce hague

No comments:

Post a Comment