Sunday, August 11, 2019

Lessons from a Moss Garden




            Several years ago my daughters and I went to a workshop at Reflection Riding on making a moss garden.  That first experience intrigued me.  It appealed to my love of the whimsical and of all things miniature.  Since then I have made several moss gardens and regularly change them for the season.  Recently I was studying one of my gardens and realized there were several pictures for the Christian present in that one garden.  So here are my lessons from a moss garden.

The garden.  The Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden, and there He put the man whom He had formed…and put the man in the garden to tend and keep it.  Genesis 2:8,15


The lantern. Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16


The rocks.  The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  Psalm 18:2

He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be moved.  Psalm 62:6

From the ends of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I.  Psalm 61:2


The Tree.  His delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also does not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper.  Psalm 1:2,3


The bird.  Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?  Matthew 6:26


The sheep.  Know that the Lord is God.  It is He who made us , and we are His; we are His people, the sheep of His pasture.  Psalm 100:3

All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.  Isaiah 53:6

Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.  John 1:29


The bench.  Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Matthew 11:28

The garden fairy.  May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us—yes, establish the work of our hands.  Psalm 90:17


The tools. Night is coming when no one can work.  John 9:4



May the Lord remind us to watch carefully for the lessons He has put all around us in the little things.  May we not just see those lessons, but remember them and apply them.  Go look for your moss garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment