Sunday, July 7, 2019

What Would You Do?


A while back I felt compelled by the Lord to change banks, because our bank’sadministrators did not support biblical teachings. This bank had taken a stand against Christian values, and to me, it felt like a slap in God’s face. I was offended, because God is my Father. Would I tolerate someone slapping my earthly father? Would I give them money? What a hassle to change banks, but as I said, I felt compelled.

Recently, we had to make another decision similar to this one. We had a little money we wanted to put into a CD. Our new bank had CDs to purchase but for a lesser interest rate than other banks that had questionable values. These banks could probably double our earnings. What to do?

How important is it to do business with those who honor God? Does it really matter? What if a person cannot find a business that shares his or her values? As image bearers, unbelievers have the ability to develop great businesses. They too contribute to society in a valuable way. I asked the Lord about this, and this is what He gave me:

Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.”

Proverbs 3:9-10, “Honor the Lord with your wealth (my emphasis), with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.”

Matthew 6:33, “Matthew 6:33, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."



“The Bible Knowledge Commentary” says this, “A person who has the promise of God’s provision, does not have to cling to things.”

There are many things that could be said about these verses, but I’ll just point out a little of what is there. God asks us to put Him first and trust Him even when things don’t make sense. We can ask for guidance and then obey, leaving the outcome to Him. Why? Because He is good. He’s on our side! We can stop clutching our wealth! It’s exhausting!

I can testify that God has greatly blessed my husband and me when we put Him first with the money and possessions in which He has entrusted us. (We are but stewards.) It is not always in ways we expect, but He is faithful.

joyce hague

No comments:

Post a Comment