Sunday, July 14, 2019

Water


Before Mother’s Day this year, I told all of my family that “I do not want presents this year.  I want your presence.” Guess what? It worked! It was wonderful!  My children, teen granddaughters, and my married grands with our great-grands came by to stay a while. My daughter gave me such a special card that, in fact, it is still sitting out!  I didn’t mind that my son David and his family brought me a beautiful hanging plant of huge, pink impatiens.

We have had so much rain on and off here in Cincinnati that I have hardly had to water my flowers. But...oops! This week I looked out - those beautiful, pink blossoms were totally drooping their heads low - I mean low!!! I hurried and watered them thoroughly and am so glad they are pretty again.

That plant made me think of “water,” which led me to a subject for a blog...the water of the Word of God and why it is so vital to our existence as Christians.

It cleanses us; it makes us fragrant, alive, useful, and encouraging to others...just as those beautiful pink flowers are to me as I see them through our front window.

We definitely want our seat-mates on a plane to have “been cleansed” before boarding. Our lives will definitely be more pleasant to others and to the Lord if we, as in Ephesians 5:26, have been “cleansed with the washing of water by the Word.”

In Psalm 119, just about every verse teaches us something about God’s Word.

            Have a Difficult decision or choice to make?
24 Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.”

Overwhelmed with sorrow or burdens?
28 My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to Your Word.

Want to be an encouragement, to be “fragrant”?
                        74 May those who fear you rejoice when they see me, for I have put my hope in your Word.
           
Dealing with temptation? 29 Keep me from deceitful ways; be gracious to me and teach me Your law.
           
Need a good topic of conversation? 171 May my lips overflow with praise...172 May my tongue sing of Your Word, for all Your commands are righteous.

Those beautiful flowers bring joy to my heart. The Psalmist states that God’s Word, the “water of the Word,” ought to give us joy:
            103 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth.    


--Maylou Holladay

No comments:

Post a Comment