Sunday, March 10, 2019

Rain, Rain


Rain, rain go away, come again some other day…

The entrance to our neighborhood remains flooded – three weeks now-an inconvenience to us, but the people whose houses are surrounded by water are no doubt experiencing more than an inconvenience. We all long for the sun!
Yet, it will come and warm our souls and we will work outside in our yards pulling weeds, planting our gardens, enjoying the longer days filled with sunlight and our kids; they will play outside and we will all feel the warmth, and marvel at the spring flowers, the beautiful butterflies, and watch as all of God’s goodness seems to come alive. It happens every spring. We have renewed strength and vigor! Then, after a short while, it gets hot and dry – gone are those moments of spring happiness. Now there are flies, mosquitos and relentless ninety-five-degree days and we wish it would RAIN!
I think this is how many of us walk through life. We are always longing for the rain to end until we forget that even the rain is a necessity. And, while at times it causes rivers and creeks to overflow their banks, causing destruction, without the rain, we would be thirsty. Water is an absolute necessity for life!
Our lives (or at least my life) is a lot like this. I love a challenge. I love to learn new things, take on new tasks, new responsibilities, alleviate boredom. But sometimes I allow myself to become overwhelmed either out of frustration or lack of time or management of my time and the task is too hard. I beg for the “rain” to stop and most of the time if I will just pause, be quiet, and wait, right beside me will be an umbrella or a reprieve of some sort, and I will be able to persevere and complete that task or challenge.
Isn’t that the way God often works in our lives? He is there guiding us, directing us and leading us through the pouring rains, flooding waters or maybe even just the puddles we get caught up in, but He is holding the umbrella to not only keep us dry, but to shade us when it gets too hot!
Along with a few other people, I have been memorizing Psalm 34 and verse 8 is the verse I am learning today: “Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him.” (ESV) Oh, to enjoy each day, rain and all knowing that God longs for us to take refuge in Him-He is holding the umbrella - both during the floods and the droughts!
Pam Dratnol
March 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment