Sunday, March 3, 2019

Got Health?


Sometimes I wonder if I believe a lie about alternative medicine. Am I wasting time and money on supplements, acupuncture, essential oils, organic food, medicinal herbs, etc? I want to believe these things work, but do they? I want to be healthy. There are few studies on such things. Some of it does not seem to work or I cannot tell any difference. Maybe I’m not applying these tools correctly? Some of it is preventative, so I don’t know what would have happened if I had not used these methods. The success rate is hard to measure, and even testimonials are varied in reporting success rates.

So I pray, “Lord, please give me wisdom about these things. I want to be a good steward of Your resources.”

In response, the Lord reminded me of things I know promote good health. I love to make lists, so here are a few:

Drink lots of purified water. (I like to add lemon or make herbal teas too)

Adequate sleep

Moderate exercise (sweat!)

Limit processed sugar and calories

Basic supplements (quality multi-vitamin and multi-mineral)

Eat lots of vegetables, nuts, seeds, and fruits (organic when possible) with adequate protein to stabilize blood sugar

Eat clean meat (organic, grass-fed)

Strive for a healthy gut

Gratitude (count my blessings when feeling down, thank God for them, and express appreciation for what others do for me)

 Prayer/ Reflection/ Meditation of Scripture/ Practice stillness

Forgiveness – “Unforgiveness is like drinking poison yourself and waiting for the other person to die.” Marianne Williamson

Positive relationships

Consistent hand-washing

Keep my bowels moving (that’s good advice!)

Fun and laughter

Fresh air and sunshine

Meaningful work – using my God-given gifts for Kingdom-building

Limit stress – have margin with time and money (“Margin” by Richard Swenson is a good resource)

Self-control, especially with addictive substances such as alcohol, tobacco, drugs, and food (I recommend the book, “Your Future Self Will Thank You, Secrets to Self-Control from the Bible & Brain Science” by Drew Dyck)

Have a positive attitude – look for the good in others and circumstances

Trust and obey God – Know He has my best in mind. He loves me. He is on my side.

Be faithful in church attendance and fully engage. The benefits are cumulative and sometimes subtle. 

Be generous with time, talents, and money

Follow the Golden Rule – Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

Never stop learning

Most of these things do not cost much money, and I certainly don’t apply them perfectly. But we all have room to grow and develop ourselves for God’s glory. We have the Holy Spirit to help us. And what benefits! Emotional, psychological, physical, and spiritual benefits! Maybe there’s something on this list you would like to explore further? Maybe you have something to add to this list? I would love to hear about it.

joyce hague


No comments:

Post a Comment