Sunday, April 22, 2018

The Battle is Real


The classic novel The Hobbit is about a fictional creature named Bilbo Baggins who goes on an adventure to help reclaim a treasure from an evil dragon. He is a very hesitant member of a party of fourteen on a journey that proves very treacherous and challenging. Throughout the journey, as he encounters trolls,  wolves, and giant spiders, Bilbo often longs for his comfortable chair back home and a nice meal. The group finally makes it to the Lonely Mountain, the home of the dragon and the immense treasure, and after seeing proof of the treasure there, they excitedly talk about all the gold and jewels. However, the excitement is short-lived as they remember the dragon guarding the treasure. The author Tolkien comments, “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.”

As I am teaching this book to my 7th and 8th grade English class, I am finding that I am very much like Bilbo Baggins. I like comfort; I’d prefer to stay home and not engage in any adventure that could be frightening. Yet this is where The Hobbit ties in to real life and what the Lord has been teaching me lately. (You’ve been wondering where this is going, right?)

There is a battle raging. There is a dragon afoot.  And I can’t stay in the comfort of my couch and a warm meal, oblivious to the battle or pretending it doesn’t exist. I have been reminded of this as I, along with many women at Grace, am participating in the Bible study on the Armor of God. In this study, Priscilla Shirer is challenging us to open our eyes to the battle, to be on the alert, and to be prepared against the enemy’s attacks. The study centers on Ephesians 6 where the Bible tells us about this battle that we are in, against whom we are fighting, and what we should do about it.

“Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” (vs. 11-12)

This is battle language; Paul is warning all believers to stand firm and stay on the alert, realizing that our enemy, though unseen, is very real. This enemy is Satan, along with a host of evil followers. Of the three enemies the Bible tells us about (Satan, the world, and our flesh), Satan is the one I overlook in my personal life. I’m very aware of the sin I battle in the flesh as well as the world’s temptations, but I do not stay on the alert against Satan’s tactics.  Yet First Peter tells us that he “prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” This is serious. Tolkien’s statement above applies well here: “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.”

Recently I was talking to Kelly about some fears I’d been dealing with in my mind that had really overwhelmed me. He gently said, “Amy, that is not God’s voice. That is the enemy; he knows where you’re weak and is attacking you in that area.” Wow; that gave me perspective. I didn’t have to listen to those feelings or fears; I had to fight against them with the truth of God’s Word. Up to that point, I hadn’t seen it as a spiritual attack. Yet, I believe that is what it was. The spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places were battling for my mind, my thoughts, trying to get me to take my eyes off God. We must be on the alert.

Yet, sisters, here is the good news. The best news. God has already won this battle! The dragon knows he will not win. He will be defeated. And in the meantime, as we live in this fallen world and must fight against Satan and his spiritual forces, God has given us armor that works. We too can be victorious! May we be on the alert, arm ourselves for battle, and keep our eyes fixed on the One who always leads us triumphantly in Him.

--Amy O'Rear

No comments:

Post a Comment