Sunday, June 25, 2017

Where is God?

I see the moon, and the moon sees me,
God bless the moon, and God bless me!

When we were children, we were told, “God is everywhere.”

Ps. 139:7-10
Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. Where shall I go from your Spirit? ESV

That seemed pretty nice – if we ever needed God’s help, there He was, right there. On the other hand, if we didn’t want Him to see something we wanted to do, that wasn’t so convenient. But, generally, those verses have always seemed pretty general to me. They aren’t, of course. They are amazing.

Do you ever want some “down time,” when God isn’t looking over your shoulder or into your mind? When you don’t have to guard your thoughts or “be good” all the time? No, you don’t, really. One millisecond away from God would be worse than our worst nightmare. We NEED His right hand to hold us!

A couple of weeks ago, our “through the week” reading in the bulletin included Isaiah 57:15, an absolutely mind-blowing thought. Read slowly, to “get” Who God is. Then read the “and also.”  Does that look like an offhand aside? Or more like the most astonishing thought of the day, today and always?


For thus says the One who is high and lifted up,
    who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy:
“I dwell in the high and holy place,
    and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit,
to revive the spirit of the lowly,
    and to revive the heart of the contrite.” ESV

--Lynda Shenefield

No comments:

Post a Comment