Sunday, February 19, 2017

An Endless Song

My life flows on in endless song
Above earth’s lamentation
I hear the real though far off hymn
That hails a new creation
Through all life’s tumult pain and strife
I hear its music ringing
It sounds an echo in my soul
How can I keep from singing?

Last year on a trip back from a choir event in Athens, Ga, I was listening to a podcast from the Rabbit Room concerning the act of “creating.” The idea was that this inherent need to create in the human spirit is one of the greatest manifestations of how we reflect the nature of God.  God the Father creates with just words and sometimes even just His breath. “And God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light….then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.”(Gen 1:3; 2:7)  Singer/Songwriter, Jason Gray,  wrote a song based on the idea that the very name of God “YHWH” is heard in the sound of our breathing.  Try it! Breathe in and breathe out and try not to hear the name of our Father, YHWH, in this mundane but absolutely necessary physical act of life.  How beautiful is the idea that the moment a baby is born, he/she can’t help but say the name of the LORD with the first breath?! And how fitting that when we are in our last moments, His name is the last word we echo with our final breath?. As we are made in His image, we cannot help but echo His name in every moment we are present on this Earth.  

The podcast continued discussing this idea of “creation” being inherent in our nature as a new creation in Christ. “But, God being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together in Christ-by grace you have been saved….For we are his workmanship created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.” (Eph 2:4-5, 10) The word “workmanship” can be translated as handiwork, and masterpiece as well, but the original Greek word is “poiema.” This is the word from which we get our English word poem or poetry The speaker continued to talk about how all lyrics of songs are poetry, and, as I was listening, I felt tears begin to fall down my face. As a singer, this idea is especially poignant to me because every note I sing has to begin with the breath, the name of God. Every pitch is an echo of the song He first began when I was born because I am God’s workmanship. My Father wrote and sang a song, and it was me. And everything I do, everything I create, is fueled by the breath, the name of my God.  

What I choose to do with my life each day, with each breath, then becomes even more meaningful.  The idea that my life is an endless song and He created me in Christ for the works He prepared for me to do means that walking with my Father, listening for the echoes of His word and song to guide my life is imperative. But, it’s difficult. How can I focus on the sound of my breath and hear the song of my God when the din of the world’s noise is so loud around my soul?  Sometimes it feels like you are quite literally having to hold your hands over your ears just to think amidst the racket of distractions and busyness in every day life.  Your breath may be shallow and fast because of the pressure to perform at a certain level or anxiety over the future. You may become uncertain of which song is your song, which words are His.  The noise is so loud inside your soul at times, it feels like the roar of a jet plane on the runway.  How could you hear anything above that? 

While though the tempest loudly roars, 
I hear the Truth, it liveth
And though the darkness ‘round me close, 
Songs in the night it giveth

No storm can shake my inmost calm, 
While to that rock I’m clinging. 
Since Christ is Lord of Heaven and Earth, 
How can I keep from singing? 

This classic folk hymn has been “ringing” in my mind for several weeks now and reminded me of this truth that meant so much on that car ride home last year. Whenever I doubt my purpose, my song, Christ is still Lord of Heaven and Earth.  He is still my Creator, still my Composer and Lyricist.  He speaks and creates new life into souls that are empty and dead. He breathes life into my every moment.  He inspires me to create and speak life into those around me.  Every action, every word, every song I sing is fueled by His name. If these things are true, then even in the midst of the darkness, the overwhelming chaos, the pressure of future uncertainties, His song is a melody of peace that may be soft, but it is there…and how can I keep my soul from singing along?!  

The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart
A fountain ever springing
All things are mine since truth I’ve found!
How can I keep from singing? 

--Gabrielle Haston

No comments:

Post a Comment