Monday, October 17, 2016

ELECTION 2016


            The presidential election of 2016 will go down into the history books as the election where voters cast their ballots against candidates, not for them.  Never have there been two candidates more widely disliked or more tepidly supported by even their own political parties. Many people have stated their intentions to stay home on election day because they don’t want to vote for either candidate.  This election will not be a proud moment in our country’s history.
            This past week my aunts were discussing one of my grandmother’s speaking outlines and I realized that her points made perfect sense for election advice.  Gram said we were to fret not, fear not, and forget not.
            First, fear not.  II Timothy 1:7 says, “God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound judgment.”  Please notice what replaces the fear.  Those are qualities we badly need during this election.  To continue the thought, the reason we are not to fear is because of His presence.  “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”  (Isaiah 41:10)  We should not fear the outcome of the election.
            Fret not.  I have never seen an election that has had more Christians worried.  Psalm 37 begins with the words, “Do not fret because of evildoers."  Both sides have legitimate reason to claim the other candidate is an evil doer.  Instead of fretting, we should look to Philippians 4:6 and 7 for our instructions.  “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”  Jesus said just before his crucifixion, when He was getting ready to leave His disciples, “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, do I give to you.  Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.”  (John 14:27)  Claim His peace.
            The final phrase is forget not.  We are not to forget God’s role in this election.  Jonah 2:7 says, “While I was fainting away, I remembered the Lord.”  We have forgotten during this election that “The king’s heart is like channels of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He wishes.”  (Proverbs 21:1) I would add Daniel 2:21, “He removes kings and establishes kings.”  So who is in charge of this election?
            No one can tell you who you should vote for or who you should vote against in this election.  You must vote your conscience.  But whatever your decision, fear not, fret not, forget not.  God is still on the throne.
                                                                                    ~~Faith Himes Lamb


No comments:

Post a Comment