Sunday, October 23, 2016

A Mind Set on Things Above

“If then you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth, for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.” (Colossians 3:1-3)

As a young adult in my 20s, one of the first passages I felt the need to memorize strictly for my own sake (not for a Bible class or study) was Colossians 3. It was the beginning of this great and very applicable chapter that grabbed my attention the most. “Keep seeking the things above […] Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.” It was all about perspective, a mindset I wanted to keep in mind daily.

I just returned to that passage again this week in a Bible study I am doing on missional motherhood. I realized once again how vital this passage is for my everyday life. How do I set my mind on the things above when the things here on earth take up all my time? My days consist of changing diapers, entertaining and feeding children, putting them down for naps, preparing for my two part-time teaching jobs, and trying my best to stay on top of housework. (Staying on top of housework for me means I stay on top of dishes and laundry. Everything else is bonus.) Oh the earthly things that run through my mind all day long! The ‘To Do’ lists and schedules and meal plans and lesson plans. Oh the frustrations over always feeling like I’m running behind! Can I set my mind on something else? How?

I don’t think this passage is telling us not to think about earthly things at all. That’s not possible. We still have meals to make, jobs to go to, and appointments to keep. What Paul is saying, however, is that there is a mindset that supersedes the earthly things. It is the mission, the goal behind all that we do. And the beauty of it is that this mission gives purpose to the earthly tasks, even to the most mundane. My purpose in life is to glorify God. This is possible even in the daily tasks of doing dishes, caring for my kids, and preparing English and German lessons. I do this as I rely on God for strength, believe His promises for my life, and lay aside my selfish wants in order to serve my family and students as an act of worship to Him. I do this as I remind myself throughout the day that the task is merely secondary. How I go about the task, how I allow the Lord to shape me in the process, how I seek to keep the eternal in mind especially in my conversations with others, that is primary. That is a mind that is set on things above.

So this week, as I go about my ‘earthly’ tasks, I want to keep the heavenly perspective in mind. Everything is infused with purpose. Every toy I pick up off the ground, every conversation I have with my children, every meal I make, every paper I grade. This is what the Lord has called me to, and this is how I give Him glory. As long as I keep this perspective in the upcoming days, my mind will be fully in line with Colossians 3. “Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth, for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.”

--Amy O'Rear


No comments:

Post a Comment