Sunday, August 14, 2016

Quiet and Confident

One of my former students is facing some unexpected changes. I've been praying for this young person and thinking about what words might be helpful. As it turns out, the words God led me to are also encouraging to me. I'm betting you'll be blessed as well.

As I worked around in my kitchen Saturday morning, the scripture that came to mind was this:
"In quietness and confidence shall be your strength." I had to use google, but found the verse. It's Isaiah 30:15. In the context, the prophet is reminding God's people of important principles--specifically that "In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and confidence shall be your strength."

This verse has resonated with me over and over. For those of us returning to the classroom after a break, quietness and confidence are what we need. For those looking for a job in an uncertain time, quietness and confidence; for the friend with unexpected health needs, quietness and confidence.

Quietness means we don't fuss and fret, telling God what's what and how to fix it. We don't rant and rave to the world around us. We keep quiet. We trust that God is in control. We have confidence not in ourselves but in our great God. It's not a call to complacency or laziness but to faith.

In Psalm 46, God declares, "Be still and know that I am God." He reminds us that "his mercy is everlasting" (Psalm 100:3). The prophet Jeremiah observed that  "[t]he LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD" (Lamentations 3:25-26).

The Apostle Paul reminded Timothy that "God has not given us a spirit of fear" (II Timothy 1:7), and Jesus himself told the disciples, "Peace I leave with you" (John 14:27). That sounds like quietness and confidence to me!

Whatever you are facing--even if it's just another Monday--put your trust in the LORD. That is where your strength comes from.


--Sherry Poff

No comments:

Post a Comment