Sunday, August 7, 2016

Not Worth It?


There’s an old saying,”Hard work pays off in the long run.” But some jokester added, “but procrastination pays off right now.” Ha-ha, ain’t that the truth?

Sometimes I set unattainable goals. Often these lofty ideas disappear when I discover the money, time, or energy isn’t worth the payoff. 

Next spring, I hope to run a half-marathon, but I wonder if in the dead of winter, I will think it worth it? Will the dream of that achievement be enough to carry me into the cold and gloom day after day? If I can hang tough, the hard work and “trials” will make the success all the sweeter. Right?

But then, there’s the value factor. If I placed “half-marathon” on one side of a scale and “effort” on the other, would they balance? If not, likely I will fail.

And let’s not forget the delayed-gratification factor. The half-marathon is seven months away. Can I maintain my enthusiasm that long? I will have to keep the vision of that day in front of me continuously in one form or another. I will have to pace myself and train in stages. If I don’t, I will fail.

Eternal rewards also require focus, endurance, and pacing. If we soak ourselves in God’s Words, we begin to value what He values. One day at a time, God fills us with His Spirit and helps us endure. He instructs us on which path to take to accomplish His will. And one day, it will be worth it all.

Paul encouraged Timothy to “be prepared in season and out of season,” and he led by example:


II Timothy 4:7-8, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

joyce hague

1 comment:

  1. You know that song, "It will be worth it all when we see Jesus. Life's trials will seem so small when we see Christ"? That's what's going through my head now.
    Thanks for the good reminder.

    ReplyDelete