Sunday, July 3, 2016

God's Plan for Women

A local insurance outfit claims that the biggest fear most people have is that they will outlive their money! When I first heard that statement on the radio, it pulled me up short. Is this true? Is the possibility of living without money really what drives people? But the statement made me think: What do I fear?
One thing I fear--if I'm being honest--is that I will outlive my friends, that I will be alone at the end of my life. I know I'll likely have family nearby, and they are truly wonderful, but they will be busy with their own stuff. I want to have friends to chat with and meet for lunch and have over for tea.
Recently, it has occurred to me that God has a perfect solution to my fears. In the last three weeks, I've met three friends for lunch, and guess what? It's not likely that I'll outlive any of them, since they are all at least twenty-five years younger than me.
Titus 2: 3-5 gives some direction for the "older women" of the church. Much as it galls me to admit it, I am one of those older women. But here's the good news: we are instructed in this passage to "urge younger women" to live godly lives. Another version uses the verb "teach." How perfect is that?! In order to "urge" and "teach," we are going to have to spend time together, right? I think this mandate means also developing relationships with those young women.
I have to tell you, I like this plan! I love spending time with all kinds of people, but young women are some of my very favorite.
Over and over again, I find that God's plan for me is so completely wonderful. He anticipated my needs--and my fears--before I ever came on the scene. I realize that God didn't make this plan for me alone, but I'm ever so grateful for it nonetheless. It's the perfect antidote to loneliness.
--Sherry Poff


No comments:

Post a Comment