Monday, November 10, 2014

Pull the Trigger!

Have you heard the news? Scientists have determined that "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls is the number one catchiest song. Don't fret if you don't know it. They aren't saying it's especially wonderful--just hard to get out of your head. We've all had days when a song or line of poetry--well, maybe not all of us on the poetry, but a song for sure!--just keeps looping in the brain.  What possible good can come of that?  How about using it as a trigger to pray?

There are songs that I associate with certain people or places: "Above All" reminds me of Togo.  "Blessed be the Name" makes me think of Rebecca Phillips. On Sunday morning when we sang "Grace Alone," I'll bet I wasn't the only one to think of Carol Kilpatrick. I've tried to train myself to pray for these people--or for those who miss them--when I get that musical reminder.  

This strategy can work with more than songs.  A few years ago, we had a mini women's conference, and I got this tip from our own Laura Welsh.  She said that whenever she sees a squirrel, she prays for Vesma Sandberg. She gave us other examples of prayer triggers: using a crock pot we got for a gift can remind us to pray for the giver; hanging up towels in the bathroom can nudge me to pray for the one who used the towel.  It was a practical suggestion that I have learned to use myself. Whenever I pass a stand of pampas grass on my way to school, I often pray for Andy Pappas because I remember Carol writing about the beautiful tassels on the grass in her yard. No doubt, there are similar sights and sounds in your day that bring to mind those in our midst who need prayer.

James tells us that "the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man" is effective and powerful (5:16). That goes for us women as well. The reminder on Sunday to pray for the persecuted church was sobering, but it's encouraging to know that prayer is something that can never be taken away from us.

On more than one occasion, I've asked Pastor Euler to pray for something and seen him bow his head right there and talk to God about my request. We all need prayer, and we need each other. Let's be sure we don't just say, "I'll pray for you," but actually do it!

What prayer triggers work for you? Share in the comments.



--Sherry Poff

1 comment:

  1. Our AWANA clubbers were challenged this past Wednesday by the Arces to pray for Venezuela every time they eat a cucumber. Last night, there were cucumbers in my salad, and I immediately thought to pray for Venezuela. ;)

    ReplyDelete