Monday, November 24, 2014

Contagious Thanks


"Dear Jesus,
Thank you for my mommy and daddy. Thank you for my baby. Thank you for my toys. Thank you for my food. Thank you for my Bible. Thank you for firetrucks.
Amen."
A sweet three-year-old in my Sunday school class was full of thanks yesterday when it was his turn to pray. I couldn't help but think that he had learned how to talk to Jesus and to be thankful from his parents. 

Our attitude of thanks is contagious, but even more so our verbalization of it. I often feel grateful for gifts, acts of kindness, encouraging words, and "stuff." My intentions to thank people are huge...but my follow-through is lacking. If a child is going to mimic me, I want it to be my thankfulness that is emulated.

So, here are just a few things that I am thankful for this morning:
  • friends who pray for me
  • parents who love me
  • grandparents who are still working hard at age 90
  • sisters who include me in their lives from great distances
  • brothers-in-law who love God and love my sisters and nieces and nephews immensely
  • a church family who consistently affirms and encourages me
  • "Lighthouse kids" who keep me laughing...and dancing...or both at the same time
  • My Bible and the many resources available to help me learn and understand more
  • And, of course, firetrucks...what an important role they play in our community
Finally, I'm thankful for the opportunity to learn and grow from my sweet, young Sunday school class. While it's a role I didn't expect to be filling, it's been a pure joy to be around these precious children every Sunday morning! Their thankfulness is contagious!

Happy Thanksgiving!

~Rebecca Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment